Wifi dropping, won't link to hotspot. Intermittent.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by slipper, Apr 22, 2011.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

So my MacBook 1,1 is having problems with Wifi dropping and sometimes it can't link to a hotspot. This is an intermittent issue. Is this an issue with the MacBooks airport? And how difficult would it be to replace?

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Can you give the model # of your machine? It's a four digit number starting with the letter a.

3. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

if the computer has been worked on internally it could be that that airport antenna wires may have been slightly severed causing it to short or work intermittently. I would also suggest running a software update and maybe istumblr to see if your connection is solid or a rollercoaster

4. LukeJG macrumors newbie

Just posted in another thread with a similar sounding problem, there maybe something useful in there.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12497277

The airport cards in those machines do tend to deteriorate, causing intermittent problems. Though, the cards aren't integrated into the logic, so they're not too difficult to re-seat or replace.

5. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Mine stops working if the computer is not restarted for around 40 days. It also has the issue intermittently while connecting to different hardware, sending a video to my xbox 360. The video will play for about 10 minutes then stop. This problem is fixed with a reboot but will then only stream for 10 minutes before stopping again.