Wifi dropping

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bearcatrp, Feb 28, 2010.

1. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Have a 3rd gen ipod touch. While surfing the web or using any web app, the wifi drops, then comes back on again (most of the time). Its less than a year old. Seems there is something in the OS that restarts it when it detects a drop. Anyone else having this issue? Have the latest updates. Has done this since I purchased it.

2. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

Anyone have this problem with their 3G touch?

3. Croads32 macrumors newbie

I don't know but I have an iPhone 3gs and a linksys router. My wifi has been hella f***ing up today. It will go from 3 to 1 back up to 2. If u find out how to fix it. Let me know asap

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Have you ever restored it as new in DFU mode?

5. Nikkos macrumors newbie

Do you have any computers on the network using bittorrent and downloading as i've noticed my wifi drops and ends up with me needing to restart the router but it keeps happened to the touch unless i remove the torrents or stop them.

I know this is a issue with the router but just putting it out there incase.

6. Moocher macrumors regular

Yes. My 64 gb touch would frequently drop wifi for a second or two no matter how strong the signal, no matter what I did. I tried restore and even had a genius do a "bit-level restore" at the store, whatever that was. Nothing helped and I never had that problem with my 1st gen touch or macbook. I finally took it to a genius and he exchanged it for a new one. All my problems disappeared.

So, if you've eliminated all other options, maybe you have a lemon like mine.

Mooch

7. iMystic macrumors newbie

Exactly what I have...

Hi there,

Very new to this forum and I just had to register as you are experiencing the exact problem I am.
    Bought the New iPod Touch 2 weeks ago here in the Netherlands and I noticed that the WiFi drops often. Indeed, no matter how strong the signal is. So it is a global issue :D

On my old iPod Touch, no problems. Even so on my MacBook. I also have an Apple Extreme wireless router all set up good.

I have done reinstalls, reboots on the router, nothing helped.
    I've read these iPod touches have a WiFi-N networkcard in them, might this be the problem? And wait for an update on the software (as this could be the problem?)
    Or would I try my luck at the store I've bought it?

It really annoys me that it is a difficult time listening to an internet radio station...

8. Moocher macrumors regular

Not a global issue. Only a couple of us and Apple exchanged mine with no problem. The new one is just fine. No wifi drops whatsoever.

Mooch

9. iMystic macrumors newbie

I ll head for the store today and see what they will say over here. Hope they ll exchange it, but my feeling says it will go for repairs :)

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

regards

10. iMystic macrumors newbie

Solved

Hi there,

I think the problem is solved. The issue was my router... Which is really weird as my old iPod Touch would just do fine with these settings. (WPA2 only)

I disabled all the encryption and my problem was gone. I put it back to WPA2 Only and the problem occurred. Not on my old iPod Touch.
    Luckily there is an 'in-between'-mode namely WPA / WPA2. I checked this option and to my surprise this worked.

The router is an Apple Extreme.

I am a happy camper now.

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Interesting. I run into an issue with my Airport Extreme from time to time. If I find my iTouch 2G suddenly cannot connect, I wander to one of our Macs and reboot the Extreme and everything starts working again. Kind of a pain, really. I suppose I should complain to Apple about this so they could fix it with an AE firmware update.