Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hi,

I have a new iPad Pro 9.7 and have had no issues with wifi connection until I paired my new Apple Pencil. It may be coincidence but it certainly seems to be related as I had no issues prior to this and nothing else has changed (no new apps, updates or settings etc).

It seems when the iPad goes to sleep the wifi connection is lost and does not reconnect even though I am right next to the router. The Apple Pencil also needs to be paired with the iPad every time I restart but maybe this is normal behaviour? It certainly seems unnecessary!

Anyone else have this problem or any help would be much appreciated?

Thanks

P.s. It is not just when iPad sleeps... It has been constantly dropping out even while typing this sentence!

P.p.s This is getting unbearable. Wifi works flawlessly until I connect Apple Pencil, then it becomes virtually unusable constantly dropping out and often not reconnecting unless you manually re-connect to wifi in settings.

On top of this, day 1 and I have a scratch on screen from using the pencil.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-pencil-scratches.1959306/#post-23008962

----------------------
Yet another update:

the wifi connection continues to constantly drop out and often not reconnect at all. Sometimes I have to manually click on the connection in settings and it reconnects but other times it will ask for the wifi password but just keeps asking over and over. After entering the password numerous times it connects only to drop out again.

Last edited:

Kazuri

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2016
Hi,

I have a new iPad Pro 9.7 and have had no issues with wifi connection until I paired my new Apple Pencil. It may be coincidence but it certainly seems to be related as I had no issues prior to this and nothing else has changed (no new apps, updates or settings etc).

It seems when the iPad goes to sleep the wifi connection is lost and does not reconnect even though I am right next to the router. The Apple Pencil also needs to be paired with the iPad every time I restart but maybe this is normal behaviour? It certainly seems unnecessary!

Thanks

P.s. It is not just when iPad sleeps... It has been constantly dropping out even while typing this sentence!

P.p.s This is getting unbearable. Wifi works flawlessly until I connect Apple Pencil, then it becomes virtually unusable constantly dropping out and often not reconnecting unless you manually re-connect to wifi in settings.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-pencil-scratches.1959306/#post-23008962

----------------------
Yet another update:

the wifi connection continues to constantly drop out and often not reconnect at all. Sometimes I have to manually click on the connection in settings and it reconnects but other times it will ask for the wifi password but just keeps asking over and over. After entering the password numerous times it connects only to drop out again.
[doublepost=1468797969][/doublepost]I'm having exactly the same problems. Wifi keeps dropping but only when Apple Pencil is paired... Also, keeps asking for the wifi password over and ovre
Hi,

Thanks

----------------------
Yet another update:

[doublepost=1468798004][/doublepost]Having exactly the same problems. Have you gotten any replies ?

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
[doublepost=1468797969][/doublepost]I'm having exactly the same problems. Wifi keeps dropping but only when Apple Pencil is paired... Also, keeps asking for the wifi password over and ovre

[doublepost=1468798004][/doublepost]Having exactly the same problems. Have you gotten any replies ?

Unfortunately no response. I did take it to Apple Store but they were not able to reproduce the problem while I was there. They offered to replace my brand new iPad Pro with a refurbished one but I was not convinced whether it would even solve the issue.

Can you explain exactly what is happening.... Sounds like the exact same issue as mine. Does the wifi sometimes reconnect automatically and other times only if you manually press it in wifi settings. Does it always ask for your wifi password or only sometimes but repeatedly? Have you noticed any patterns?

For me sometimes it is constantly happening and the Internet is useless until I disconnect pencil other times it is more intermittent but it only occurs when the pencil is connected.

The problem seems to be worse the further away from the wifi router I am.... But the issue does occur even when right next to wifi. The issue never occurs when pencil is disconnected.

I wonder whether the issue occurs with other Bluetooth connected devices? I don't have any to try other than testing a second Apple Pencil and problem still occurred.

I would love to get to the bottom of this issue.... It is incredibly frustrating!!!

Out of interest, what do you use the pencil for and what apps?

Restlesslegs

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2015
I wonder whether the issue occurs with other Bluetooth connected devices? I don't have any to try other than testing a second Apple Pencil and problem still occurred.

Yes, same happens when I'm using my Sennheiser bluetooth headphones, very noticeable when watching YouTube videos...

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Yes, same happens when I'm using my Sennheiser bluetooth headphones, very noticeable when watching YouTube videos...

When i contacted Apple they said they had not heard of an issue like this before. I wonder whether it is an issue unique to the iPad Pro or whether it is a wider issue.

I would love to get to the bottom of this.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hi,

Thanks

I have a 9.7 and an Apple Pencil and have had no WiFi connection issues, even when using the iPad out in the backyard, rather far from the router. Never any issues when connecting after the iPad has been in sleep mode either.

What version of IOS are you using? Also, I assume you have gone into Bluetooth settings to the Apple Pencil, performed a "forget device" and did a re-pairing?

Edit: Also, have never had any issues with having to pair the pencil with the iPad again. I paired it once and that has been it. Even if I separate the pencil and iPad to a distance where Bluetooth connection is lost, it automatically re-connects, as long as the pencil has power. If the Pencil is dead, plugging it back in, will result in it reconnecting when it has power.

The other thought that has occurred to me is that perhaps the issue is with the Pencil and not the. IPad?

Last edited:

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I have a 9.7 and an Apple Pencil and have had no WiFi connection issues, even when using the iPad out in the backyard, rather far from the router. Never any issues when connecting after the iPad has been in sleep mode either.

What version of IOS are you using? Also, I assume you have gone into Bluetooth settings to the Apple Pencil, performed a "forget device" and did a re-pairing?

Edit: Also, have never had any issues with having to pair the pencil with the iPad again. I paired it once and that has been it. Even if I separate the pencil and iPad to a distance where Bluetooth connection is lost, it automatically re-connects, as long as the pencil has power. If the Pencil is dead, plugging it back in, will result in it reconnecting when it has power.

The other thought that has occurred to me is that perhaps the issue is with the Pencil and not the. IPad?

Thanks for the reply. I have iPad Pro 9.7 with iOS 9.3.2

When wifi disconnects I often have to reconnect by manually pressing in settings and usually it just reconnects but sometimes it asks for my password and just keeps asking even though I entered the correct password. I have seen others report this but never found a solution. The drop outs can be constant I.e. Sometimes 30 seconds after reconnecting or more intermittent. It is practically useless trying to use Internet when the pencil is connected.

The issue is not the pencil as i have tried with another pencil. I have done a forget device and reset network settings as well as numerous clean installs of iOS. It now remembers the pencil as long as I do not turn off Bluetooth or shutdown iPad but the real issue is the wifi constantly drops outs when the pencil is connected. If I want to use the internet I turn off Bluetooth.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks for the reply. I have iPad Pro 9.7 with iOS 9.3.2

When wifi disconnects I often have to reconnect by manually pressing in settings and usually it just reconnects but sometimes it asks for my password and just keeps asking even though I entered the correct password. I have seen others report this but never found a solution. The drop outs can be constant I.e. Sometimes 30 seconds after reconnecting or more intermittent. It is practically useless trying to use Internet when the pencil is connected.

The issue is not the pencil as i have tried with another pencil. I have done a forget device and reset network settings as well as numerous clean installs of iOS. It now remembers the pencil as long as I do not turn off Bluetooth or shutdown iPad but the real issue is the wifi constantly drops outs when the pencil is connected. If I want to use the internet I turn off Bluetooth.

I am using the latest version of 9.3.3 on mine. I am not sure if that makes a difference or not. I upgraded to 9.3.3, before I ever paired the pencil, therefor have no idea how it would have behaved with 9.3.2.

I don't have any issues with network connections. Whether I am at home, work, businesses I visit, friends and families homes, etc., the iPad will automatically connect to those remembered networks, without asking for passwords again. Of course using Reset Network Settings would cause it to, but otherwise no. Is your home network the only one you have been having issues with? Or does it behave similarly elsewhere? I was curious since you mentioned that they couldn't replicate the issue at Apple Store. Have you also tried a Forget Network and rejoined? I am not sure that does anything that Reset Networks doesn't do, except on an individual basis, but maybe worth a try.

I also have to pair the Pencil again if I turn off Bluetooth or completely power down, but that's the only time. Pairing is instant as soon as the Pencil is plugged in. No unexpected issues though.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I am using the latest version of 9.3.3 on mine. I am not sure if that makes a difference or not. I upgraded to 9.3.3, before I ever paired the pencil, therefor have no idea how it would have behaved with 9.3.2.

I don't have any issues with network connections. Whether I am at home, work, businesses I visit, friends and families homes, etc., the iPad will automatically connect to those remembered networks, without asking for passwords again. Of course using Reset Network Settings would cause it to, but otherwise no. Is your home network the only one you have been having issues with? Or does it behave similarly elsewhere? I was curious since you mentioned that they couldn't replicate the issue at Apple Store. Have you also tried a Forget Network and rejoined? I am not sure that does anything that Reset Networks doesn't do, except on an individual basis, but maybe worth a try.

I also have to pair the Pencil again if I turn off Bluetooth or completely power down, but that's the only time. Pairing is instant as soon as the Pencil is plugged in. No unexpected issues though.

Thanks again for the reply. The problem has occurred since I bought the iPad and each 9.3.x update has not fixed the issue. I will be updating to 9.3.3 tonight but do not expect it to make any difference.

I have done a forget network, network reset and clean installs of iOS.

The issue does occur on other networks but I primarily use the device at home.

The wifi dropouts definitely relate to the bluetooth Apple Pencil being connected. It also appears the post from "restless legs" that they are having the same/similar issue when connecting Bluetooth headphones. At present I dont have any other types of Bluetooth devices which I could test but I suspect the issue probably would occur with other BT devices.

If the issue only occurred when I had low wifi signal then I would assume it was the Bluetooth interfering with the wifi signal but the fact that it occurs even when right next to the wifi router suggests something more complex is happening.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
A couple of other suggestions. If your router provides a 5GHz connection, try using that. 5GHz doesn't seem to be as easily effected by Bluetooth interference. Also try changing your router to a different wireless channel. 1, 6 and 11 work well, but try others as well and see if it makes a difference.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
A couple of other suggestions. If your router provides a 5GHz connection, try using that. 5GHz doesn't seem to be as easily effected by Bluetooth interference. Also try changing your router to a different wireless channel. 1, 6 and 11 work well, but try others as well and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately my router is not 5ghz but I'll try different channels. The wifi connection on iMac, MacBook, Windows laptop and android tablet is flawless.

The other thing is even when the wifi drops out (without actually going out of range) my wifi network is still listed in settings and usually simply pressing it reconnects unless it keeps asking for password.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014

This issue is still occurring. I tried changing the wireless channel but this did not help.
I have noticed that if I setup internet sharing on my iMac I can share the Ethernet connection over wifi and the iPad does not drop out when connected this way. Not ideal but it is something. I would love to get to the bottom of this.
[doublepost=1483762376][/doublepost]

Are you still having this issue? Have you found a resolution? Please give an update.

If you have a Mac or any computer that can share internet over wifi can you try creating a hotspot and see if this solves the issue for you.

When I share Internet connection from iMac over wifi it does not have the issue with Apple Pencil causing wifi dropouts.
[doublepost=1483762531][/doublepost]

If you have a Mac or computer which you can share Internet over wifi can you try creating a hotspot connection for iPad and see if your Bluetooth headphones still disconnect the wifi.

When I share Internet connection from iMac over wifi it does not have the issue with Apple Pencil causing wifi dropouts.

Please let me know.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.