Wifi Extenders?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LarryJoe33, Sep 18, 2017.

1. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65832

LarryJoe33

2. Vazza macrumors 6502

3. jerryk macrumors 601

Any way to get a ethernet cable up there for a separate wifi access point? I really hate to see people use repeaters and extenders because of the loss of throughput. A mesh network might work well also, but I have no experience with those.

4. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65832

LarryJoe33

Thanks, that looks diesel, but a little more $$ than I want to spend for my girlfriends daughter to be able to mess with her iPad in her 3rd floor bedroom.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2017 ---
    It would be a b!tch!

5. LCPepper macrumors 6502

LCPepper

In my experience WiFi only extenders/repeaters/boosters are very flakey and tend to be poor in terms of speed and reliability. But powerline ones have been great in my experience.

I sunk £70 on a powerline extender about a year ago, which goes to WiFi and ethernet, I was a bit hesitant after being burnt on the other WiFi only ones...

But, to my surprise, it has worked perfectly. Easy set up, and great performance. It has 5GHz ac WiFi as well as ethernet too, and it's like being sat next to the main router, identical in terms of speed, ping, reliability etc.

This is the set I ordered: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B4X4W6O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't recommend it enough!

Little tip if you get these, to make devices auto-switch between it and your main router as you move around the house, give the extender wifi access the same name and password as your router; devices then seamlessly transfer from one to the other. Otherwise, you have to go toggle between both in the settings, or until the device is completely out of range of one access point or the other; that can be quite the headache.

(edit to add the following)

Another useful thing with these is you can buy extra receiver units, either WiFi or just ethernet, so it's quite flexible in that sense too. They have to be the same manufacturer, but that's not the biggest inconvenience in the world.

6. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65832

LarryJoe33

Thanks very much, I appreciate you taking the time for the comprehensive recommendation. I used power line adapters two times in the past at different properties and they worked well. I actually had a kit installed here but the cleaning people threw it out (long story). I guess I will go this route again. Awesome tip on naming the networks, that would be ideal. I already have four wireless networks and none that reach that floor of the home. I definitely don't want six.

7. LCPepper macrumors 6502

LCPepper

You’re welcome!

The positive thing is that you already know that the wiring in your house is up to the job too. That’s always the worry with powerline, hoping that you’re house’s electrical wiring will be fit for it/finding a plug that’ll give the best network quality etc. So at least that’s not a stab in the dark for you.

Let me know if you have any issues with the WiFi set up, and I’ll see if I did anything in particular/different on my extender that made it work—pretty sure I didn’t do any more than I mentioned above though