WIFI/external display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zao8350, May 27, 2010.

1. zao8350 macrumors regular

so i just bought a 23" samsung LCD for my june 09 mbp. the 2.8ghz 15". My plan was to run it in clamshell mode and a made a little stand that i put the laptop underneath and the monitor on top of. Problem, when I do this my wifi gets really weak. when i play games my ping is around 250 when it is normally in the 40's. i figured it was probably because the laptop was under stuff so i moved it out and to the left. same problem. i started leaving the laptop open but the problem persisted. i moved the laptop to the left of the display and still, the same problem. I then opened it on the left and problem solved. any idea why this is happening and if clamshell mode normally kills wifi reception? thanks!

2. Poelser macrumors newbie

So, I'm posting in here since I also have problems with WIFI when I connect my MBP (2010) to an external display. As soon as I plug it in, the connection is lost.

I read that this problem occurs sometimes and tried every solution I found including:
    - greater distance between external display and MB
    - lid closed/open
    - change wifi channel
    but nothing has worked so far.:confused:

It actually cannot be due to disturbances caused by the display because WIFI works just fine when the display is connected to a windows machine while the MBP is directly next to it.

Anyone got any advice?
    I considered:
    a) buying a wifi router supporting n-standard
    b) buying a mini displayport/dvi adapter from Apple (cause mine is not)
    but I hesitate to spend more money on it when it might be just for nothing.
    Thanks!