Wifi fiasco with new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nightfly13, Jun 14, 2012.

1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I think I'm in trouble. I got my new iPad maybe 2 months ago. It connected to the wifi network at my parents' house in America (where I was visiting - I actually live most of the year in India) and so I applied my fancy sticker backing and all was well.

Then I noticed that it didn't work in an office - would consider a password for 2-3 seconds then be 'unable to join the network "network name"'. Subsequent attempts would give up even faster, like 3/4rds of a second and the same error message shows up. I figured maybe the office network wasn't updated for the new iPad and shrugged it off.

Then the same thing happened with an AT&T wifi hotspot at a resort. Weird, called Apple and AT&T, conflicting opinions, I just dealt with it. It kept working at my parents' house - using their Apple Airport Extreme router.

We just flew back to India and to my horror, it won't connect to my home router here, even though I'm also running a latest-firmware Apple Airport Extreme. Theirs is dual-band, mine is single-band. I've tried it with different types of security, even with no security, 2.4ghz, 5ghz, everything I can think of. I've reset network settings, rebooted the router, rebooted everything, actually, and it still refuses to work.

Swapping it out with Apple is pretty difficult here in India. I'm not going back to the US for another 10 months or so.

I think I'm pretty much screwed, but is there something I'm overlooking?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

3. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

I would still call Apple in the US and see if they can help you with a replacement. You may have to arrange to ship the iPad back to the US in order to get a replacement. Either way call Apple and explain the situation. :)