Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airamerica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
I've just set up my MBA, right out of the box - everything is going well apart from it take ages to copy files from my G5 to the MBA, over my WiFi connection.

A 33.6MB file has just taken 45 mins!!!!

I'm doing nothing differently from when I used my very old (5 years) G4 PowerBook to transfer content. As a quick test, I've just transferred the same file to that lap top in about 15 seconds.

Has anyone else had the same problem or know of a fix?

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
My MBA (week 1) seems to be more sensitive to channel clutter than my G4 PB was.

In my area there are 6 different networks broadcasting on channel 6, mine was one of them. I reconfigured my AP to only use G on channel 4 and everything was fine.

Another problem I noticed is if an AP does not broadcast it's ID. I tend to drop signals and have problems re-acquiring them. Once I turned broadcast back on all was OK.

airamerica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Still very slow

I've tried to use a different channel but the result is still the same.

I seems that the problem is with the MBA itself? Unlike many other reports I have a constant network connection and it hasn't dropped out at all.

bence8810

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Hi

I also had this problem, although not with the MBA but with a simple Macbook. I was using the Airport Extreme Base Station, and until I clicked Enable Interface Robustness or something like that in the Airport Admin utility, i kept getting dropouts and slow speeds. This was on mixed g/n mode. When I had it on N only with the high hertz channels, I had no trouble, except that my iPhone was wifi-less. Once I realized that g/n mixed mode with robustness set was fine, I went back to that, and my iPhone is a happy wifi client as well.

Cheers

Ben

Alkiera

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
This is the first complaint I've heard of slow wireless. The only remotely slow wireless operation I've done involved installing CS3 from a Remote Disk over wireless, but that was many gigs of data, and it will still under an hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.