Wifi file transfers very, very slow.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by airamerica, Mar 18, 2008.

1. airamerica macrumors newbie

I've just set up my MBA, right out of the box - everything is going well apart from it take ages to copy files from my G5 to the MBA, over my WiFi connection.

A 33.6MB file has just taken 45 mins!!!!

I'm doing nothing differently from when I used my very old (5 years) G4 PowerBook to transfer content. As a quick test, I've just transferred the same file to that lap top in about 15 seconds.

Has anyone else had the same problem or know of a fix?

2. n0de macrumors 6502

My MBA (week 1) seems to be more sensitive to channel clutter than my G4 PB was.

In my area there are 6 different networks broadcasting on channel 6, mine was one of them. I reconfigured my AP to only use G on channel 4 and everything was fine.

Another problem I noticed is if an AP does not broadcast it's ID. I tend to drop signals and have problems re-acquiring them. Once I turned broadcast back on all was OK.

3. airamerica thread starter macrumors newbie

Still very slow

I've tried to use a different channel but the result is still the same.

I seems that the problem is with the MBA itself? Unlike many other reports I have a constant network connection and it hasn't dropped out at all.

4. bence8810 macrumors member

bence8810

Hi

I also had this problem, although not with the MBA but with a simple Macbook. I was using the Airport Extreme Base Station, and until I clicked Enable Interface Robustness or something like that in the Airport Admin utility, i kept getting dropouts and slow speeds. This was on mixed g/n mode. When I had it on N only with the high hertz channels, I had no trouble, except that my iPhone was wifi-less. Once I realized that g/n mixed mode with robustness set was fine, I went back to that, and my iPhone is a happy wifi client as well.

Cheers

Ben

5. Alkiera macrumors regular

This is the first complaint I've heard of slow wireless. The only remotely slow wireless operation I've done involved installing CS3 from a Remote Disk over wireless, but that was many gigs of data, and it will still under an hour.

6. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

Had poor network performance on my network yesterday; was corrected after I reset my WAP.