Wifi frustration!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alexdog, Jan 7, 2009.

1. alexdog macrumors newbie

Ok so at my work I can connect to a connection and it has two or full bars. When I go to safari it says cannot connect. I've tried restarting iPod renewing lease and waiting but nothing works. Can someone give me some tips or tell me why this isn't working. It would be a great help!!!!!!!

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

sounds like its a secured network. It may appear to be unsecured but as soon as soon as it connects it may require a security certificate.
    The one at my work will redirect to http://1.1.1.1 or something like that

3. Topper59 macrumors member

what firmware are you running?

whats the security of the network? (ie. WEP, WPA2)

4. alexdog thread starter macrumors newbie

It won't even connect to anything it'll saycannot connect to server

5. pilotrtc macrumors regular

Not all "connections" are real networks. They could simply be a router and that won't work as you describe. Can you confirm with an IT person what the name of the real network is that you can use to connect to the Internet with?

6. alexdog thread starter macrumors newbie

i have 1.1.5 i think

how do i find the secruity out?

7. alexdog thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you mean?

8. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I ran into a wifi connection of 169.172.19.1 yesterday. 169 is a not routable network.

9. pilotrtc macrumors regular

What I mean is that sometimes the "network" you see listed in the WiFi screen is not a legitimate WiFi network but a wireless router that is transmitting itself. A wireless router has to transmit itself so that your computer can find it so it can be configured.

For example, if you have an Airport Extreme and a laptop with an Airport wireless network card, your laptop will be able to find the Extreme so when you launch Airport Utility, you can configure the Extreme to have an unprotected network, or a protected network, or a closed network, etc. In the Airport Utility, you can name the Extreme, for example, "Bob" and your network "Smith". If you connect to "Smith" you can surf the Web. If you connect to "Bob" then you can't.

You may be trying to attach to the "Bob" as opposed to the "Smith".