WiFi.....Gaming and Mac Compatibility

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zagato27, Aug 17, 2007.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Currently I have a Motorola SBG 900 Gateway. Probably the main reason I originally bought it was that it included the modem and the wifi. Well, am thinking of changing. I have 3 Mac's in the house (G5 and 2 iBooks) and one PC. They all seem to work well but have been having some issues lately with service interruptions (I'm with COMCAST). It may be just my cable connection, splitter off the main cable but maybe not. Anyway, my sons would like to be able to go online with their Nintendo DS and also with Xbox. Seems that this current setup just isn't gamer friendly. I've seen some Buffalo wifi routers that tout "game friendly" and especially Nintendo DS friendly. However, the Buffalo don't seem to be Mac friendly in that you have to set them up through a PC....no I don't want to set it up using my son's PC. So, can anyone recommend a cable modem and a wifi router that might fit my needs? Thanks in advance. Cheers

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, stay away from the combo devices. If you want you can just rent the modem from Comcast, or buy a good one like the latest Motorola Surfboard (SB5200 or something like that). Then get a good regular router — any REAL one won't require any Windows specific configuration, they almost all are configured from a web page. Linksys is fine and affordable, and of course Apple's Airport Extreme is a good choice.

There is no such thing as a "game friendly" router. But to make sure, Nintendo supplies a list of routers that are confirmed to work with the DS/Wii. Note that to connect your DS, you will be forced to use the much less secure WEP encryption, as opposed to WPA.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My kids' Wii and their DS's go through my D-Link 624 WiFi without much trouble. The setup is via a web browser so any OS can do it. The thing bout DS's is that they like a fixed channel (I forget which one) and they are 802.11b so the whole network has to be in a compatibility mode (b/g). And as Apfhex said, WEP for the DS's only.

4. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

I've been using the Belkin (I can't remember the model name) wireless router and no problems so far. It's quite Mac friendly too and easy to setup if you know what you're doing.