Wifi greyed out / no network connection

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Bamjam2013, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Bamjam2013 macrumors newbie

Hello community,

since I`ve updated from 6.0 to 6.1 I`ve had network connection issues with my iPhone 4S. At least since yesterday the WiFi button in "settings" is greyed out, the bluetooth setting is always searching for connection without enabling bluetooth and - after I updated today to iOS 6.1.1. - WiFi is not longer a tethering-connection option.

First I am searching for help at the internet, after I`ve reseted, deleted all settings a.s.o.. I found a lot of google results describing similar problems. One of them you can find here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4478539?start=180&tstart=0

For second I call Apple Care. Apple told this seems to be a hardware defect, but they not sure. But unfortunately the warranty time of my iPhone was expired. :mad:

I don`t think it`s a hardware failure, because 2 other people of my IT company have 100% the same issue since they made also updates with their 4S and 5 iPhones yesterday. If this was really a hardware defect, what I can`t believe, this seems to be caused by updating firmware/iOS. :cool:

Does somebody has the same problems? Any helpful suggestions?

I am not willing to buy an apple care protection plan for solving issues, which are caused by updates. This would be the same like paying for a capital engine failure, after a mechanic forgot a few screws after a car service.

2. firnue macrumors newbie

I had an iPhone 4S, already out of warranty :(
    My wifi is greyed out after I updated it to iOS 6.1.1 (now 6.1.2), MAC N/A under General|Settings.
    I installed BatteryDoctorPro (in Cydia), went to system, and can see my Wifi MAC address. It's "corrupted". The first one should be F0, instead, it's F2. The last one, should be 6C, instead it's 6E. I remember this, since I still have the screen capture when it was in iOS5.1.1 with Wifi and Bluetooth MAC address under General|About menu.
    Did anyone notice that?

Though, I uninstalled BDP since there's a rumour that it could cause signal reception issues.

There's a petition to let Apple enable downgrading iOS5.1.1.
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/748/142/899/ask-aapple-to-allow-users-to-downgrade-to-ios-5/
    How effective is this petition?

3. firnue macrumors newbie

I run Sysinfo Plus from Cydia, and found out my Wifi MAC address is changed. The first byte should be F0, instead, it's F2. The last one, should be 6C, instead it's 6E. I remember my original Wifi MAC, since I still have the screen capture when it was in iOS5.1.1 with Wifi and Bluetooth MAC address under General|About menu.

This is the same reading as what BDP had.

4. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Myself and my father in law had this. It is a hardware failure, a know issue on the 4S. We went to the Apple store and they were both replaced no questions asked.

5. TechGenius macrumors newbie

Greyed out wi-fi solution...

Simply turn off cellular data, turn on airplane mode and reset network settings. It should be working perfectly again.:apple::apple::apple:

6. OriginalClone macrumors regular

OriginalClone

This

7. dtpilot macrumors newbie

WiFi Greyed Out /Blue Tooth Searching Off Iphone 4S

I suddenly had this same problem, did a google search, and ended up here. Tried all the resets and restore from suggestions from the Apple support page and problem remained. Could not turn wifi or blue tooth on and the blue tooth seemed to be constantly searching even turned off. Since I had also recently upgraded software I thought was software problem, too. But my Iphone is out of warranty and not eligible for upgrade, so although very skeptical, I decided to try the hair dryer trick , turned my Iphone 4S off, applied high heat directly near the earphone connection for 2-3 minutes until was hot to the touch, and then turned back on. The display at first showed a message saying temp was too hot for phone to operate and I should wait to cool. Then a few seconds later Iphone turned on. To my surprise, I was able to turn on both wifi and blue tooth and connect to my wireless router. So far it has been 30 minutes, it has cooled back down, and wifi is still working OK. Im pretty sure the problem will return, and is not a real fix, but since I have no warranty to void, it was worth the risk. But what it certainly does is prove that this particular problem, at least for me, is definitely not a software gliche, but instead most definitely a hardware problem with the device.