Wifi greyed out since updating

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by cryphone, Apr 28, 2013.

1. cryphone macrumors newbie

On carrying out a recent update on my iPhone 4S, I noticed that, since Thursday of this week, the wifi facility has been disabled and greyed out and therefore, I am now reliant on an at best, patchy signal from my home at Barham Road to make/receive calls, texts and access the Internet.
    In my current job as PR person for a local High School, it is vital that I access Internet and telephone on an almost daily basis to properly carry out my role. Concerned abut this therefore, I today telephoned your customer services line from my Orange pay monthly phone, visited your Dartford store and was advised that this was not under the remit of EE and that I should, contact Apple.
    In doing so, by going in- store at my local Bluewater Shopping Centre, I was told the earliest appointment at the 'Genius' Bar would be next Thursday; some 7 days after the event.
    Reluctant to wait, I then went into Bluewater store on the Upper Level, near to Barclays Bank. Here, I encountered a less than satisfactory level of service from a vainglorious member of staff named John, whom I am told is the store manager.
    His attitude was one of ' well, it's not our problem. Our responsibility is for the network, not the phone' and yet all this was said while standing next to a piece of signage which claims : "Got a problem?We will fix it...and replace your phone while its on the blink".
    When challenged, 'John' was both indignant and intransigent towards me and frankly, his bolshy salesman approach was rather offensive. When asked to note down my complaint, he was unwilling, stating that he'd 'taken it in board' but that there was ' no facility in store to escalate it any further'. He even laughed when I protested that the signage was misleading; falsely claiming to be helpful, undermining EE's intentions to do 'anything to help' and that it needed a disclaimer saying *excludes Apple.
    Given that Apple is one of EEs highest grossing products and no doubt, is a popular choice for many, I would think it vital that this fact be made known to anybody taking out a 24 month contract like myself- or any contract for that matter. Furthermore, when considering the race towards 4G, surely it's fundamental to keep current 3G customers happy first before steaming ahead into the 22nd century as they so vehemently advocate?
    Unrelenting, however, as a last ditch effort to solve my problem, I decided that I would visit the downstairs store at unit 53. I found the service of, not one, but two, fairly junior members of the team (whose names I didn't get), to be of a thousand times that of this 'John', who calls himself a 'manager'. I therefore wish to compliment them on their 'teamwork' and their efforts in actually trying to help.
    Sadly, the fact remains that I am currently unable to use a service which I pay some £30 a month to use.

2. SprSynJn Guest

My wife's iPhone 4S has the exact same problem. I had thought it was because she dropped it, but reading this post it appears that it might not be the case. I thought doing a full restore might help the problem. Not really looking forward to doing that though.

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. nickhutson macrumors regular

This happened to me - just make a genius bar appoinmtnent and take it to the apple store; they'll replace it in 3 seconds. As always, remember to BACK UP your phone to iTunes (not just sync it). You need to tell it to back up (as it doesn't always do it).

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Even though the guy was basically an asshat and dick in his tone and 'tide. He is actually correct. Apple doesn't allow anyone but Apple Stores and tech certified 3rd party computer repair shops to deal with the iPhone or the iPad. Doesn't excuse him talking like a jerk and he could have just said that under their contract with Apple they have to exclude the iPhone from that deal.

That said, greyed out wifi after an update is sometimes software do the DFU restore is good advice. But don't restore from an iTunes backup. iCloud might be okay

7. SprSynJn Guest

Did you attempt a full restore beforehand?

8. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

If you have an Apple device, then go to the Apple store. Carrier stores cannot authorise iDevice repairs.

Walk in to the Apple Store in Bluewater, see if there are any cancellations for appointments (there will be, though you may have to wait a short while), and they'll replace it.

9. alice04 macrumors regular

alice04

I think a restore can fix it, but if you're still having problems it's best if you return it to apple :)

10. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

After following the steps in that article doesn't correct the problem then you could most likely get a replacement under warranty.

11. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Saw this with 3 different iPhone 4s, all hardware failures caused by the update. Replacements where necessary in all the cases.

12. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Yep. Just replied on another post here about it too. Seems to be a fairly common thing.