Wifi greyed out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carabrookelle, Feb 20, 2013.

1. carabrookelle macrumors newbie

Okay so my phone's screen went blank for a few days and then when it came back on the wifi, bluetooth and carrier didn't work (the switch for wifi is greyed out) it's been about a week now and i've tried everything, I've reset the network setting, restarted it countless times, restored it on itunes to the original factory setting. I've done everything and it still wont work. I can't send it back to apple because my warranty is up and they said they wont replace it and I got this phone just over a year ago and I'm on a 3 year plan which I cant afford to pay off and buy a whole new phone because I'm only 15. Can someone please help me with this?! :(

p.s. i don't know if it's the newer iOS 6 that's causing it to do this because i updated my phone after it turned back on and the wifi didnt work even before the update.

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Did you check to make sure that Airplane mode wasn't accidentally turned on?

3. Devlin234 macrumors member

I swear if that was his problem... That would suuuuck

4. firnue macrumors newbie

I had an iPhone 4S, already out of warranty :(
    My wifi is greyed out after I updated it to iOS 6.1.1 (now 6.1.2), MAC N/A under General|Settings.
    I installed BatteryDoctorPro (in Cydia), went to system, and can see my Wifi MAC address. It's "corrupted". The first one should be F0, instead, it's F2. The last one, should be 6C, instead it's 6E. I remember this, since I still have the screen capture when it was in iOS5.1.1 with Wifi and Bluetooth MAC address under General|About menu.
    Did anyone notice that?

Though, I uninstalled BDP since there's a rumour that it could cause signal reception issues.

There's a petition to let Apple enable downgrading iOS5.1.1.
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/748/142/899/ask-aapple-to-allow-users-to-downgrade-to-ios-5/
    How effective is this petition?

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Lol Apple won't listen to it.

And if you have "No Wi-Fi" your Wi-Fi hardware is dead. Time for a new phone.

6. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Yup I agree the last time I had a greyed out wifi took it to apple. They couldn't understand why this happened either and replaced the iPhone user warranty.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I don't think that there is any other remedy.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So this is an existing problem and u ignored it until after the warranty ran out.

10. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

My theory is that iOS 6 some how murdered the Wifi chip in the phone. It's strange how some iPhones are having this issue and Apple only offers a few options to try and fix it, but it probably won't fix it.

11. Gr8fulMac, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

Gr8fulMac macrumors newbie

Yup. I've seen this on a friend's phone. After trying everything, she brought it back to the Apple Store. Sho 'nuff, a hardware problem resulting in them giving her a new phone.

12. firnue macrumors newbie

It's interesting to see whether it's a hardware or software issue.
    My phone was having this problem just after upgrading it to iOS 6.1. Never had any issue before. I know some of my friends having no issue upgrading their iPhone 4S to iOS 6.
    I really wish that there's a bootrom exploit for A5+ so that I can try to downgrade.

Anyway, I run sysinfo Plus from Cydia, and found out my Wifi MAC address is changed. The first byte should be F0, instead, it's F2. The last one, should be 6C, instead it's 6E. I remember my original Wifi MAC, since I still have the screen capture when it was in iOS5.1.1 with Wifi and Bluetooth MAC address under General|About menu.

I wonder how sysinfo plus can get the MAC address, while my wifi is greyed out.
    Anyone having the same problem and find different MAC address under sysinfo? and how different?

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

iOS disables the Wi-Fi if it either:

a) doesn't detect a wifi chip
    b) detects an invalid wifi chip

The wifi card is reporting the wrong MAC address, so it's faulty. It's not software, it's hardware. Wireless cards are fickled things.

14. bubulol macrumors 6502

they wont replace it even if you are willing to pay 150/250$?
    i m thinking to do same, going into an apple store and get a replacement of new iphone but its already out of warranty :mad:

----------

i have same issue but why wifi hardware is dead after updated latest IOS versions?
    why not before as under 5.1.1?

15. firnue macrumors newbie

Just FYI, my wifi was just perfect prior upgrading to iOS6. That's why I am still curious if the upgrade (to IOS6, or iOS6 itself) was the issue, particulary on my wifi chip.

There's an highly active blog regarding some attempt to bring up the wifi after upgrading it to iOS6, and some reporting that it's working. So why some attempts (non-physical attempt, like changes in nvram, or running macx4 cydia apps) could change wifi-greyed-out issue? Any clue?

http://johnharperjr.blogspot.com/20...howComment=1362780607884#c1891341829926099775

I have tried several attempt mentioned, but it doesn't work for my iPhone 4S. Maybe it works only for iPhone 4.

16. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Same wi-fi greying out happened on my dad's 4S after iOS6 and also the bluetooth toggle was constantly spinning,did a quick google search and prayed lol as the phone is out of warranty.

Apple has a page which lists out a few steps,the first one is resetting network settings,and thankfully that brought it back to life-still weird why it happened in the first place.

17. firnue macrumors newbie

That "standard" step would have been in my first steps. But it doesn't work :(