Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

` andreaa.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
I have searched this question numerous times and have not found anything the same... so my question...

Is it possible to 'hack' into your own computer's wifi connection from a distance? For example, at home, my desktop mac computer uses WiFi for internet access. So, is it possible, without a wifi connection, to access your computer and use the internet through your ipod? Does this require the ipod to be jailbroken? Does this not even exist anymore? Thanks!

(by the way, it's MY wifi and computer I'd be getting into, so it's not like I'm stealing someone else's wifi.)

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Yes, no hacking required, but your computer needs to be accessing the internet via a wired connection. You can't use your wifi card for both connection to internet and internet sharing.

You don't say what kind of computer you have. If it's a PC you have to set up what's called an "ad hoc" connection. I've twice tried to do this on a PC and failed (I'm told it's easy but I never really needed to do it so gave up when it didn't work first time) but it's easy with a Mac - System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing.

However, having said that, if your computer is already using WiFi, it's using a WiFi router, so why don't you connect your iPod (a Touch, I take it?) to the router?

If you're not using a Touch or iPhone, it's not possible.

` andreaa.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
I did say that I used a mac computer... but the reason for not doing that is because I want to be able to access it when I'm far away from my computer, like several miles away if that's possible, where free wifi is not available, which is why I figured a hack may be necessary.

iSaygoodbye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
a boat
I did say that I used a mac computer... but the reason for not doing that is because I want to be able to access it when I'm far away from my computer, like several miles away if that's possible, where free wifi is not available, which is why I figured a hack may be necessary.

not possible

Boots-

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Canada
Actually, i think what he means is to access his desktop from the ipod, which i think is possiable

` andreaa.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
She, actually. ;) Haha, but whatever...

And I basically mean accessing it while not at home... which could mean, if I had to, getting onto my computer if that was the only way to get into it.

So it isn't possible?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
She, actually. ;) Haha, but whatever...

And I basically mean accessing it while not at home... which could mean, if I had to, getting onto my computer if that was the only way to get into it.

So it isn't possible?

In order to access, you still need wi-fi; that's how your iPod communicates. There is no other way.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Okay, thank you for answering my question. What a downer...

There's no logical way this could have worked anyway. You would have to have access to the network that your computer was connected to from that far a distance to even access the computer, and very few (if not ANY) wireless routers transmit as far as you are asking - in fact, most tend to transmit only several metres, so there's no way you could connect to a network to then access your own personal computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.