Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Does anyone have a problem with Wifi on their phone? I have it turned on and connected to a network. It has all the bars in the setting menu but when I exit out of settings it never shows the wifi bars in the menu bar, only edge. I check my serttings again and there Is a check mark next the network with all four bars but my phone won't show it or get off edge. Anyone know why?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Interesting...

As per this other thread, I'm also using a Linksys wrt54g router with WEP encryption. Prior to the 1.1.1 update, my iPhone #2 would drop wifi but still pick it up.

Now, it does exactly what you describe:

• joins the network
  • displays the check mark, shows signal strength (in the Network screen of General Settings)
  • does NOT show wifi in the status bar
  • only shows E for EDGE

For other reasons, I got a 3rd iPhone today (as in a second replacement) and it's also doing this. I'm wondering if this is a Linksys issue. I already tried disconnecting the modem/ router and that didn't do anything (shocking, I know ;)).

Any suggestions?

Late edit to clarify: unmodified iPhone, running 1.1.1 on a Linksys router w/ WEP encryption-- issues connecting to public WiFi spots, home network, but it connected to Apple Store wifi w/out a problem.

Perhaps it's an extravagant scheme on Apple's part to try to get me to buy an Airport Extreme base station? :D

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I am not having any problems with WRT54G. I also have another wireless router which does not have a problem either. I use one downstairs and 1 upstairs for better signal strength.

The first time I connected I noticed it stayed with the E until I used the WiFi. However, I disconnected and tested again and the E when away as soon as I connected. May not be anything but timing.

And yes I am on 1.1.1

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Weird. V v weird.

My iPhone was plugged in and charging for quite some time but it just randomly made the chime for "I'm plugged in and charging!"

Curious, I looked at it-- and whaddya know, it's showing wifi in the status bar! w00t! Not sure why it suddenly chose to work, but I ain't gonna complain.

cardinal08

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
I am still having the problem initially described:
Phone:
* joins the network
* displays the check mark, shows signal strength (in the Network screen of General Settings)
* does NOT show wifi in the status bar (but says connected to Wifi network in the settings menu)
* only shows E for EDGE

I have had this problem with a number of different routers. Does anyone else have ideas on what might be going on or how to fix it?

Thanks.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
By chance are you having your connection issues when trying to access a public wifi point? Ive noticed that several times when i tried to pull mail in a public location and joined an open network that nothing happened... After going to safari, i realized that the public wifi had one of those "click to accept our terms" screens. Once i accepted, i could join the network with no problem. Check and see if you are being asked to accept terms...

blindtheater

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2006
I have noticed the same issue on my phone however it only happens when trying to connect to a weak signal (one bar next to the name)

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
my iphone used to do that but then i called my dsl people and i found out i was entering the wrong pass code so now it connects fine with no problem...

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I've noticed this on a few public networks that have display "terms of use" pages, I think I'm connected only to discover that I'm not technically connected, sometimes opening another page will prompt the pop-up screen and allow me to actually connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.