Wifi Help needed!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bag3lbit3s, Aug 18, 2008.

1. bag3lbit3s macrumors newbie

So I've tried everything. I can't get it to work with encryption on my router. I got it to work with it off but the thing has to be less than a foot away from my router to work. I've tried resetting the ipod, changed all the settings on the router to default. I can't figure it out. The ipod wifi works when it is literally on top of the router, but only with encryption off. It gets 600+kbps with touchspeedtest.com. But as soon as I'm over about a foot from my router the thing doesn't work. It's really starting to piss me off because this was one of the selling points for me. The odd thing is, it will find the router from pretty far away, even outside of my house. But it will not connect to it unless it's literally a foot away from it.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Did I get myself a bad copy?

Thanks.

2. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

change the channel of the router from 1 to 4 or 11 and see what happens

3. bag3lbit3s thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried it...I'm going to take it to the apple store tomorrow and demand a replacement or them to fix it. I'm a bit upset. Also printed out my warranty thing I found online for my serial number instructing me that I can take it to them to have it serviced.

4. dblinkzz macrumors newbie

i have wifi problems too

very similar as you, my ipod cannot connect unless i am near the modem, not one foot as you, but i have to be very near.. if im like more than 20 ft, the problem starts

in my case, my ipod worked good when i got it, but i dont know if i have some kind of warranty cause it wasnt new when i bought it

please, if you fix it, let me know so i can do the same thing..

itouch sux if u cannot connect to internet

5. Resist macrumors 68030

I started having wifi issues myself recently with my Touch. I can't seem to get internet access via my wireless network all of a sudden. If I use another network it works fine. Other devices work fine via my wireless network.

6. bag3lbit3s thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm taking it in and having them look at it. If they still can't get it to work I'm going to expect they give me another one or at least fix it. I'll let you know how that goes. The reason I bought this was because of the wifi.

7. bag3lbit3s thread starter macrumors newbie

So I took it in. Two different people looked at it, they both said it was probably a problem with the device. I couldn't even connect to their wifi after restoring and fiddling with it. But I had to make an appointment, which imho is kind of dumb considering I was talking with someone who wasn't busy.

So I have a question, what's the process for something like this? I checked online for my warranty and printed out showing that it's still under warranty as proof. What else am I going to be asked or need? They didn't give me any information when I made the appointment there.

Thanks.

8. dblinkzz macrumors newbie

so it cant be repaired?

where did you go?

still with the same problem..

9. bag3lbit3s thread starter macrumors newbie

I made an appointment with their "genius bar" at the Apple Store. They fiddled with it for a while, determined the device was bad and gave me a new/refurbished one. Works like it should...I'm happy.

10. dblinkzz macrumors newbie

so you had to replace the whole itouch for a new one??? or just the wifi hardware

thanks for your answer, i really need it =S

11. bag3lbit3s thread starter macrumors newbie

They replaced the whole device with a new/refurbished one since it was under warranty. It works just like a brand new one so I'm happy.

To check your warranty status on your device:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do