wifi help, please! How do I extend (or solidify) my signal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ero87, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hey friends,

I'm in a dorm in Manhattan for the summer, and I'm picking up a weak wifi signal on my iMac. It works for a few seconds right after I turn on Airport, so I can quickly turn Airport off-and-on and then load a page - but this gets very tedious! After that first page, no other pages will load unless I restart Airport (and even that remedy doesn't always work).

Anyway, does anyone know of a way to solidify this wifi connection? Any creative ideas out there? I would really really appreciate some help, I'd love to have internet this summer! Thanks :)

2. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

I'll give you a halfway real one. Instructions might be a little daunting, but it really does work: WiFi Bazooka

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

If this is legitimate network that you have permission to connect to you might be able to talk to whoever manages that network and see if they can boost the signal, add a range extender, or replace the antenna with a one that has a higher gain (dBi).

If you don't have permission to access this network there are other was but I will not help with those.

4. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

its a public NYC wifi connection, I'd love any advice you have!

5. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

Still not having any luck, any other ideas to improve my wifi? Thanks for any help you can give!

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

you could setup awireless router running DD-WRT as a range extended, put a higher dBi antenna on it and crank up the power up to around 84mW from the factory 28mW. Wireless router and antenna should cost around $100 depending on what you get.