Wifi Home music setup?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by birchnick10, Jul 11, 2008.

1. birchnick10 macrumors newbie

Alright here goes....after hours of searching I just coulndt find it.

Right now I have 2 motorola dc800's hooked up in 2 seperate rooms for wireless music to be setup with my ipod touch via dongle connected to the touch.

The problem I have is I have to indivdually connect each one each time i want to use them and they only work for about 15ft before they cut out.

So im thinking WIFI now, but what I dont know is if anyone has devised a way to send music out wifi from the touch. I know remote is possible, but I want to send music.

Then if that is possible what is there that i can get that will recieve music through wifi that I can then hook up to an individual home audio reciever.

Essentially im looking for a way to send music from my ipod touch (so i can walk with it in my pocket) with wifi throughout my house without complications and a way where i dont need a computer to do so.

2. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Well, I don't think that is possible, but I understand what you mean. That would be an awesome idea! Someone would really make a lot of money off of something like that. However, I really don't think Apple would allow that because the record companies would complain that it is a way for peer-to-peer music transfers to occur.

Currently, I think the best idea would be to get 2 AirPort Expresses and leave iTunes on on your computer, and then use the new free Remote app from Apple to control them. It would accomplish the same thing, although I know it is much more cost effective to use equipment you currently own.

3. birchnick10 thread starter macrumors newbie

This issue with that is I dont yet have a computer.... not sure if you have any knowledge of the apple tv hack but do you think this would suffice if I could get osx running on it? Then airport express just one room since i'll have the apple tv in one.

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Keep your Touch. Best player on the market for web access, email, and apps.
    Buy ANY other media player that has bluetooth. Samsung P2, Insignia Pilot, Philips SA5245BT, etc..
    Buy a bluetooth receiver for your system.
    Put your music on the new device.
    Play the music wirelessly, +/- 30 feet, through your system.

Or get a bluetooth add-on for your touch and a bluetooth receiver for your system.

5. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but I can't help you with the Apple TV hack, but I wonder if OS X would run decently enough to allow you to even run iTunes. Seeing as the Apple TV is not a full computer, one would think it would have even less than the performance of a Macbook Air.

If you can afford it, a better solution might be a refurb Mac Mini or other HTPC instead of an Apple TV, and you could get the Airport Express. It would definitely be much faster, and you would have a computer, as well as a DVD player in that one box. If you should need it later, you could always add more storage via an external hard drive, whereas the Apple TV requires a hardware hack. The Mac Mini also has many more capabilities.

Just adding some suggestions.