Wifi hotspot from Wifi

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Cakester, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Cakester macrumors regular

Please excuse my ignorance. I don't believe this is possible, but I thought I should ask the experts first.

Am I able to create a Wifi hotspot from my iPhone 4 while my iPhone 4 is connected to Wifi.

Why do I ask two dogs humping ? Going on vacation(international), only one device permitted per connection per room.

Thoughts ?

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Why do you have to create a wifi hotspot when your iphone is already connected to wifi? Why don't you just connect the device to wifi?

3. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

Not sure if you can do this with an iPhone, but you can definitely do this with a Mac.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree, makes perfect sense.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

I think what he is saying is some how the hotel only allows one device to use wifi at a time. so you can't use iphone, laptop, Ipad at the same time. I never heard of a hotel doing this but that's what he seems to be talking about. personally I find another hotel and I would tell them why.

6. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

+1 This is exactly what the OP says in his first post.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

use your laptop as main one by ethernet on the hotel and then WIFI hotspot it to all your other devices.

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

We need to go deeper. Ethernet to computer then routed to a modem then router and broadcasting as Wifi for the iPhone to pick up and then broadcast as a WiFi Hotspot for another iPhone to join and then broadcast that WiFi hotspot signal as another WiFi hotspot.

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Carry an Airport Express router, and an Ethernet cable in case the hotel doesn't provide one. They're not too expensive, and can be configured as a bridge router to produce a wifi signal for the hotel's wired Internet. I did this just this week and it worked exceedingly well.

For the record, some hotels charge a wifi per day charge for each device used. At $10-15 per day per device, it adds up fast. Using the router meant we paid for one device only.

Can MyWi even do what he's asking? I though it couldn't broadcast a hotspot while connected to wifi itself, but I haven't looked into that in eons.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

I think your solution sounds like the best!