WiFi Hotspot on GSM iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtnDewFTW, Jan 12, 2011.

1. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I have two questions.

1. Will AT&T/Verizon charge you extra for the personal hotspot feature? If so, will it be the same as the tethering fee?

2. Are we gonna be able to FaceTime anywhere if the personal Hotspot is on?

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It appears that if you have tethering enabled on your iPhone (because your carrier allows it - either free or as part of something extra that you pay for) then the Hotspot feature will work as well.

On AT&T that means that if you pay the Tethering fee, the Personal Hotspot will work with no additional cost.

Of course, this could all change by the time 4.3 comes out.

Not sure if anyone's tested it, but I'd assume that if the iPhone's hotspot feature is on, that the phone wouldn't be able to connect to another Wi-Fi network (let alone connect to itself). So I'd say no.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

1. We'll have to wait and see, but I'd guess it will be extra.

2. If the WiFi is connected to devices serving internet, then it is not connected to a wireless access point. As long as FaceTime still requires WiFi, I can't see how you could use FT and the hot spot at the same time.

4. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

correct me if im wrong, but i think the OP is asking whether a phone connected to a personal hotspot (not serving it) can make a facetime call. That is also unknown at this point.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

How about location services on the wireless? Did Apple revert to it's own lookup service for locations via wifi base stations? And if they did it might mean that it can implement GPS sharing on the local net.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If that was the question then yes if you're connected to another iPhone using it's wifi then your iPhone will be able to FaceTime using the other iPhones connection.