Wifi Hotspot using Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by surfer17, Sep 1, 2014.

1. surfer17 macrumors member

Please read the entire post:

I know that you can create a wifi hotspot using a Mac, through the 'Internet Sharing' option in System Preferences, if the Mac is connected to the Internet via Ethernet.

However, here is my issue:

My iPhone isn't getting any Wifi signals where I'm at, but my rMBP has a pretty good connection to the Wifi (I'm in the basement and the router is on the second floor of the house).

So, I was wondering if anyone here has a solution through which I can get the same internet speeds on my iPhone as I'm getting on my Mac.

Since my Mac is already connected to internet using Wifi, it can't create a Wifi hotspot.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can share your MBP's internet connection, but not through wifi. it does not have the wifi transmitter needed to send the signal like a phone (or a router) does.

3. CaffeinatedNoms macrumors member

CaffeinatedNoms

You could always get a plugin wireless extender... they cost upwards from about £30/US$50/CA$55 and some of the smaller ones just look like extra large plugs with no cords.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Actually you can do that with a MBP, I've done it a few times before. Your MBP must be connected to the inernet with ethernet though.

OP, buy a wireless extender or, if you are able, bring a cat5e wire up to your room through the wall. Alternatively there are those powerline ethernet thingys which you could use, but I've heard mixed reports on those.