Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramparts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
I just got an iPhone and it's great, but I have two things I'm wondering if I can do with the WiFi:

1) Can I specify an order for preferred networks? Every time I'm in my room where there are often two of my preferred networks, it never seems to go on the one that I'd like it to automatically.

2) (big one) Is there a way to have it use the cellular/3G for internet when the wifi network isn't getting data, without going into Settings and turning off WiFi? There are a few times when it'll pick up on a preferred network (like my school's) but be just out of range, and then say I'm not connected to a network or just not download any data, when it could very easily switch over to 3G. It seems like a pretty big hole if the software doesn't take account of this....

The Governor

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
I just got an iPhone and it's great, but I have two things I'm wondering if I can do with the WiFi:

1) Can I specify an order for preferred networks? Every time I'm in my room where there are often two of my preferred networks, it never seems to go on the one that I'd like it to automatically.

2) (big one) Is there a way to have it use the cellular/3G for internet when the wifi network isn't getting data, without going into Settings and turning off WiFi? There are a few times when it'll pick up on a preferred network (like my school's) but be just out of range, and then say I'm not connected to a network or just not download any data, when it could very easily switch over to 3G. It seems like a pretty big hole if the software doesn't take account of this....

1. I am not positive, but I'm pretty sure you can't. I know this really doesn't answer your question, but one thing you could do, since you have 2 available networks, delete the one you don't want. So that way while it may ask you to join the first network, that your not interested in, you will automatically pickup on your desired network

2. No.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Well, it DOES switch to 3G or EDGE if the wi-fi network is gone. When I leave my house it automatically switches to 3G and drops my home-network.

What you're describing here sounds like you're close enough to stay connected to the network, but too far to get a good data connection. In that case I guess you have to shut it off manually, because the phone won't drop the network until it can't see it at all anymore.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Agreed

I agree with the OP - Another similar scenario is when you are at a hotspot that may let your phone connect, but you still have to go to safari and enter a password in that you may or may not have. Without turning off wifi you cant avoid this, which is very annoying. This happens to me at several locations and almost makes me wish there was an external button to switch off the wifi. I realize this wont happen, but navigating between settings and whatever else you were doing is a little obnoxious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.