WiFi in Europe with 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vjaaan, Nov 5, 2011.

1. vjaaan macrumors 6502

For those of us who cannot make calls with our iPhones in Europe (as I am assuming to be the case for Sprint customers), can we still use our phones on WiFi networks at hotels or places that offer it? If so, we can still get all our email and instant messages, right?

Thanks for any suggestions on how best to use my new phone overseas.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Yes you can still use WiFi. McDonalds is always a good bet for a free connection.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wifi is the same everywhere. However, if it's a wireless a/n network in the 5 GHz band, you won't be able to connect on the iPhone.

4. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like my new iPhone will be a handy device to have in Europe, even without the voice option. Checking emails and using instant messaging will work just fine.

One other thought ---- regarding charging. In the past, I have taken a hair dryer that could be switched to the 220 setting for Europe, and I used the simple two prong adaptor for the plug. But with the iPhone, will I need to buy a converter as well? And will that work in London as well as on the European continent?

Thanks.

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

You only need a plug adaptor. Not a transformer.

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

U can buy Skype service and use Skype wifi calling anywhere in the world.

McDonalds in Europe is not the same as USA.

McDonalds doesn't offer free wifi in Europe as they do in the USA.

It's hit/miss finding a free wifi connection. Hanging around hotel areas is your best shot for finding free wifi.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

You sprint phone is a world phone, and sprint would be happy to sell you some air time so you can make calls and use data if you'd like!

8. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Hmm.. Are you sure about that?
    In Denmark there's free wifi in McDonald's: http://www.mcdonalds.dk/dk/services.html

"Værsgo - gratis trådløst internet hos McDonald's" = "Here you go - free wireless internet at McDonald's"

9. bushido Suspended

bushido

it depends, here in germany u need to be a "Telekom" / "T-Mobile" customer to use most of all "free" wifi hotspots

10. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I went travelling around Europe 2 years ago. Every McDonalds had free WiFi.

11. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Buy Skype Credit...

... and save a ton of money.

I used my iPhone in WiFi mode during my last two week trip to Amsterdam. I made local and long-distance calls, sent e-mail and used the Internet. The minimum Skype credit purchase is $10; at the end of my trip I had $5.72 remaining.

Visual Voicemail won't be available, so you will need to access your voicemail by calling. No Big Deal...

Be sure to use a strong password with Skype and disable automatic recharge of your Skype Credit, which is enabled by default. My Skype account was hacked a week ago and I now have 5 cents credit remaining. The hacker tried to add $80 Danish Kronner to my account, but apparently Skype prevented it from happening because the call history and/or currency change didn't make sense to its system. I found out what was happening when Skyp sent me an e-mail notifying me of the attempted charge to my debit card.

BTW, the hacking was due to my own negligence... I had an easily-guessed password. I have changed the password and deleted the debit card info from my account.

I recommend using a personalVPN when using public WiFi when traveling. The ability to select a VPN server traveling can come in handy when U.S. servers are blocked by a local ISP. VPN also protects your data from being "sniffed" by someone monitoring traffic on a wireless or wired network. I highly recommend Witopia.net.

Be aware that local ISPs may block access to common ports used for downloading e-mail. Be sure to obtain alternative ports from your ISP or switch to Web mail for the duration of your trip.

Happy Trails!

12. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

13. jcu macrumors newbie

you will also find free wifi at Starbucks. Lots of them in Germany and northern Europe.