Wifi in Mac Mini too slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aaquib, May 15, 2008.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

My Mac Mini airport wifi goes really slow compared to a wired connection. Anyone have any ideas? It goes super fast on my Toshiba or HP laptop. I have a D Link Wireless G router. I called Apple and they said its most likely because I have a 2.4ghz router in my house that's interfering with the signal. Would it really make that much of a difference, or is there something else I can try?

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

ok try this.

open utilies folder and click on network utility when wired, then do same thing through wifi.

Wifi connects at 54 mb or less, wired connects at 100 mb or faster.

wifi can only connect and transmit at speeds determined by your router.

--Eric

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Not true. His Late 2006 Mac Mini has a 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet adapter in it. So it is possible that it could connect slower than the 100Mbps you stated. Duplexing is another thing needs to be considered. Also network transmission speeds are referred to in Megabits per second (Mbps) and not millibits (mb) or millibits per second (mbps).

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

How about checking your Wi-Fi speed, by Option-Clicking on the Airport icon in your menubar?

For 802.11g you should see a transmit speed of 54 for full speed.

5. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

A millibit is a useless unit. I guess this falls under the same rule for talking about momentary figures:

"How much is the house worth?"
    "395"

The house obviously isn't $395, it's $395,000. It doesn't make sense for it to be anything else... just as it doesn't make sense for 54mbps to be anything other than 54Mbps. In context, you aren't going to confuse someone if you use mbps or mb instead of Mbps.

Anyway, the signal quickly degrades with distance so the actual throughput of the wireless network could fall well below the maximum of 54Mbps. If distance isn't an issue, I guess it's possible that the network has fallen back on wireless-b since most wireless-g routers are backwards compatible... could just be a configuration issue.

Are you just browsing when you notice the slow down or are you transferring files/some other heavy network usage?

6. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

As for my august 2007 mini; The internet seemed to be fine on airport, but downloads seemed too slow. I just plugged the mini, via network cable, into the wireless router and of course it is great now.

7. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

Thanks for the help guys! Yes, I got it fast! How? Pull the dam plug on my phone base! See, its in my room and the wifi signals have to go past the phone base station to get to my Mini. I also reset the router and turned off my Airport. Turned everything back on and Im back to 1mb/s :cool: