Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lefferts48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Ok, here's the deal: I'm thinking of getting rid of my cell phone, throwing off the yoke of cell phone provider oppression, and buying an ipod touch. I mostly use my phone for texting, anyway, so I'm thinking I can just check email on the ipt using wifi when I'm away from home.

Anybody in NYC want to comment on this plan? How easy is it to find open signals when you're walking around the city? Also, does the mail app automatically download new messages when it finds an open signal?

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Ok, here's the deal: I'm thinking of getting rid of my cell phone, throwing off the yoke of cell phone provider oppression, and buying an ipod touch. I mostly use my phone for texting, anyway, so I'm thinking I can just check email on the ipt using wifi when I'm away from home.

Anybody in NYC want to comment on this plan? How easy is it to find open signals when you're walking around the city? Also, does the mail app automatically download new messages when it finds an open signal?

I don't live in NYC so I can't comment on that part of your question but I can tell you that the touch does, indeed, download new email when it finds a new signal, so long as you have it configured to automatically check email on a regular basis.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I don't live in NYC but I was there not long ago. I bought a Touch while over there and seeing as it was my new toy, I pretty much had it on me the entire time I was walking around the city. It wasn't too difficult to pick up networks, but they weren't always available. The best places I found were usually cafes and also a lot of the buildings downtown have free wifi in their lobbies.

I think you could get away with it, but I found it frustrating when I was expecting an email and couldn't find a hotspot. If you're willing to pay a bit you can get internet access through T-mobile at Starbucks which is what I ended up doing because I knew there was usually one close by.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I don't live in NYC but I was there not long ago. I bought a Touch while over there and seeing as it was my new toy, I pretty much had it on me the entire time I was walking around the city. It wasn't too difficult to pick up networks, but they weren't always available. The best places I found were usually cafes and also a lot of the buildings downtown have free wifi in their lobbies.

I think you could get away with it, but I found it frustrating when I was expecting an email and couldn't find a hotspot. If you're willing to pay a bit you can get internet access through T-mobile at Starbucks which is what I ended up doing because I knew there was usually one close by.

I'm surprised to hear you had no trouble. Downtown i get nothing. Only when i'm near an Apple store, otherwise i can never find an open network. I wouldn't want to get rid of my phone.

Edit: I re-read and saw you did get frustrated. I never thought of trying a lobby. Still not a good idea though to rely on finding a hot spot.

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
I do live in NYC and have [and love] my touch. I also have very similar needs and desires as you- I just want to cruise around and not rely on my cellphone, and send email via touch.

Not so easy, in fact. There's a couple issues: 1. the touch won't just access any open network there- you have to select that network in the Settings. Once you do this, it becomes a preferred network, and it'll jump on it in the future.

2. NYC is only so wifi-friendly. Just being honest. You have to go out of your way to find open networks, even for minimal use- and they sometimes are sketchy or drop off quickly. Walking near cafes and university areas helps.
Also, here's a community organization that's been working [very slowly] to bring free wifi across manhattan. Check them out- they may give you some leads.

http://www.nycwireless.net/

But all in all- I have a touch, i love the touch, and when I leave my little comfort zones of wifi, I'm left without many options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.