WiFi in schools

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kope912, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Kope912 macrumors newbie

I just got an iPod touch and I was wondering, will wifi work at my school? I know we have laptops with wireless internet, but will ipod pick that up? I really want to use the internet on it, but out where I live we cannot get it.

if anybody knows thanks!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If your school will allow you to connect to their WiFi network, yes, it should work fine. The iPod supports pretty much all the standard WiFi features. There are just one or two (valid but) not-too-common configurations that it does not support. So for 95% of the cases, you're just fine.

3. Kkatyboo macrumors member

don't forget about passwords... Your school will probably require one; which you might not be able to get. If not, you're really lucky ! :)

4. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

i wouldnt count on being able to use it on your campus. I have Wifi at my school but it is 802.1x. The touch cannot connect to that...yet. Thankfully for me, my campus has a separate "guest" wifi that my touch can use. Email your school's computer help desk and ask what kind of wifi they use and if the touch is compatible.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, enterprise WPA / 802.1x are the other 5% of cases. :(

6. jkim251 macrumors newbie

wireless confusion

slightly confused about this.

direct quote from my school:

there are two primary types of wireless connections: 802.11b and 802.11g. 802.11g-enabled wireless cards, available in most new laptops, permit connection speeds of up to 54 Mbps at 802.11g-enabled wireless access points (like those listed above). 802.11b is a somewhat older connection type, and does not offer as fast a connection. All NYURoam access locations are 802.11g-enabled, allowing access for people using either 802.11b or 802.11g equipment.

does that mean i'm good to go - or could they still be 802.1x or w/e?

7. Maegulimavri macrumors newbie

yea you should be right so long as you have the password (should there be one)

8. jkim251 macrumors newbie

w/ some more information

so I asked around and my school has two wireless networks

one uses vpn - and it seems like that won't work with the touch though i have found some stuff in the forums about hacking in some stuff so vpn works

my real question now:
    the other wireless network works as followed (when using a laptop for example):
    connect to network -> open browser -> enter in username/pass (kind of like gmail interface) -> internet starts to work

does that mean i can use the internet on this type of network? It probably still has some kind of security behind it not sure if its wpa enterprise or anything though...I thought people had trouble getting onto the internet because they coudln't use a vpn client

:confused:

9. Forkaster macrumors member

Looks to me you should be fine.

I would like to take the opportunity to ask if there isn't a 3ed party app that enables 802.1X?

Unfortunately my college changed to it a few months ago.

10. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

It looks like it'll be a bloody great hassle, but you're in business! :D