Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ciemunio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
Hi,
I could not find the answer about that, I read apple article about connecting to wifi, when BT is not available, but I am not sure if this is a bug, or a feature:)
It works fine, when I connect my iphone to 2,4GHz wifi network, but as soon as I switch my phone back to the 5GHz wifi network, the watch stops functioning (BT is off).
As I undestood, it should still work e.g. when I leave my phone at home, but had remembered wifi (2.4) in my work and have my watch with me...
Or not?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Hi,
I could not find the answer about that, I read apple article about connecting to wifi, when BT is not available, but I am not sure if this is a bug, or a feature:)
It works fine, when I connect my iphone to 2,4GHz wifi network, but as soon as I switch my phone back to the 5GHz wifi network, the watch stops functioning (BT is off).
As I undestood, it should still work e.g. when I leave my phone at home, but had remembered wifi (2.4) in my work and have my watch with me...
Or not?

This will only work if you are on a wifi network that doesn't require you to authenticate to join it. We have such a network at work and this works for me.

Reactions: ZebraDude

ciemunio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
This will only work if you are on a wifi network that doesn't require you to authenticate to join it. We have such a network at work and this works for me.
But I have WPA2 2.4GHz at home, and when iphone and watch are using it, it works fine.. And when they will use different wifi, it will work only without encryption? Really? wtf, apple?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
But I have WPA2 2.4GHz at home, and when iphone and watch are using it, it works fine.. And when they will use different wifi, it will work only without encryption? Really? wtf, apple?
Not encryption but sign on authorization.

ciemunio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
Not encryption but sign on authorization.
OK, ok:) but you know what I mean:) mitm is more simple etc. So still, wtf apple:)?
I will test it without wpa2 later, but any reason for such design? Why Apple Watch cant connect to wpa protected wifi?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
OK, ok:) but you know what I mean:) mitm is more simple etc. So still, wtf apple:)?
This has NOTHING to do with Apple or the :apple:Watch. A sign on site requires a web browser. The sign on web page usually has TOS you must read and agree to. It also contains other info and often redirects to a home/ad/info web page. How do you expect Apple to control this? :rolleyes:

Reactions: ZebraDude

ciemunio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
This has NOTHING to do with Apple. A sign on site requires a web browser. The sign on web page usually has TOS you must read and agree to. It also contains other info and often redirects to a home/ad/info web page. How do you expect Apple to control this? :rolleyes:
Now I am confused. So is it possible to connect using WPA2 or not? I dont mean wifi with sign on requirements.
[doublepost=1485557350][/doublepost]
As gwhizkids said, it will work if network does not need to authenticate (my understanging is - dont need share secret).

To be clear - my wifi (2.4 and 5) is using wpa2. I dont have TOS etc. If both devices are connected to 2.4, it works fine. When I switch my iphone to 5ghz, it stops.

BIG UPDATE:)
It works.. WTF? I tried once again (had today some changes in my environment) and it works.
I switched on phone to 5ghz (bt off), and my watch disconnected, but after few seconds both connected using wifi. Sorry apple, sorry guys:) I dont know what was going on before that...

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Your OP is not very descriptive as to what is happening. Here is the way it works. If you are trying to connect to a 5GHz WiFi or if it is a work WiFi that is IT administered with device profiles (only allowing an approved device) then it won't work.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-28%20at%205.19.07%20AM_zpsiafk4kzu.png

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
You are complaining that a device which uses bluetooth to work together with an iphone, does not do that thing when you have bluetooth off.

It is really a problem with the user ;)

ciemunio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
You are complaining that a device which uses bluetooth to work together with an iphone, does not do that thing when you have bluetooth off.

It is really a problem with the user ;)
No, it is designed to work using bluetooth OR wifi:)

As I wrote, everything works fine now, I dont know why during first tests it didnt worked.

The-Traveler

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2017
Yes, only 2,4

What bothers me about this is the fact that it doesn't work if my phone is on the 5GHz frequency and my watch is on the 2.4 but they share the same router/subnet. It ought to work, and it would be faster for my phone. Often times the 2.4ghz band is very congested.

Gmouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Lakewood, CO
I have WIFI at my house, and several times I have been upstairs doing something wearing the watch, and my iPhone 7+ is downstairs in my office...too far and too many obstacles for bluetooth to work. When the phone is called, my watch shows the call, but, when I try to answer via my watch, the callers either cannot hear my, or I sound VERY garbled. Things sound great when I am down near the iPhone. Soooo...is WIFI being used for phone calls, and if so...any way to make things sound better?

Thanks.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
I have WIFI at my house, and several times I have been upstairs doing something wearing the watch, and my iPhone 7+ is downstairs in my office...too far and too many obstacles for bluetooth to work. When the phone is called, my watch shows the call, but, when I try to answer via my watch, the callers either cannot hear my, or I sound VERY garbled. Things sound great when I am down near the iPhone. Soooo...is WIFI being used for phone calls, and if so...any way to make things sound better?

Thanks.

Best way to tell if your phone is using Wi-Fi vs Bluetooth is to open up Control Center and look at the icon in the top right. If you see a green phone icon, you are connected via Bluetooth. If it's a green cloud, you are on Wi-Fi. Chances are you are still connected through Bluetooth. Worth checking out next time you walk upstairs away from your phone.

GoSUV

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
I think your carrier has to support Wifi calling in order for the voice calls to be handled by your AW if it were out of Bluetooth range of your iPhone, but the AW is connected via wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.