wifi/internet on the road

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sniperhunter, Apr 6, 2008.

1. sniperhunter macrumors newbie

SO if i travel alot on the road what am i looking for as far as internet access while im on the side of the interstate and such?? any specific carrier recommendations??? a connection good enough for some world of warcraft action maybe?

2. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

3. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

You need a mobile broadband connection. Playing games though isn't likely....data yes, anything else, probably not.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

dont expect to get a high bandwidth connection.

For a while verizon had a "hidden" network that would allow internet connections but they've phased it out as far as i know. I used my phone as a modem and connected my MBP via bluetooth. I cant log in anymore haha.

5. acarle208 macrumors member

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Tethering a 3g cell phone is going to be your cheapest option, and the better (but less cheap) option is to buy a dongle from Verizon, Cingular or Sprint (the 3g carriers) that will give you access anywhere.

Or clearwire off a car battery.

Don't expect to game with any of these though...

7. Zeos macrumors 6502

Sprint has surprisingly good coverage for $60/mo. I use it for work and rarely find a dead spot. There are areas with slow connections, but if you're on an interstate road, chances are you'll have a good connection.