WiFi/Internet trouble with the new Macbook Pro 2016?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by manny88, Nov 12, 2016.

1. manny88 macrumors member

I'm having trouble with the wifi/internet.

I'm surfing the web, and then all of a sudden, all the webpages refuse to load. Then I keep refreshing them every few minutes, and it just doesn't fix itself.

I then run network diagnostics (a link that appears in opera when the page fails to load), and it instantly fixes the problem.

So I have no idea if this is a hardware problem or a software one.

Anyway, anyone else experiencing wifi trouble?

2. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

Do you by any chance have any dongles connected into the USB-C Port ?

3. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

... and 2.4ghz wifi.

4. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

and are named Louis Rossman?

5. Unrealmac1988 macrumors member

Probably the same dongle problem I had as well.

Even it is painful: buy a new dongle. I'd go for a HooToo one. Never had any issue since using this one!

6. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

May I ask which dongle you had before ?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 12, 2016 ---
    @Unrealmac1988 also, are you using the Hootoo Shuttle, How is it ? have you tried using an SD card or external HDD with it, I was initially planning to buy it but read people had problems powering External HDD and SD Cards

7. manny88 thread starter macrumors member

No dongle. Though I did experience the dongle/wifi issue the other day, and posted about it in the big no touch bar thread.

This was without any dongle, or power.

However I had previously had an Asus USB-C portable monitor connected via USB-C. But at the time I was experiencing the issues, that had been disconnected for 30mins +.

I have no idea what GHz my mum's WiFi is (I'm not there currently to check). But it's the standard fibre optic router from the ISP (BT Broadband Infinity).

Also I never experienced these drops in connectivity with my previous Windows laptops.

I'm really wondering if it's a software issue, as a network diagnosis fixed it instantly. But I had to wait for Opera to fail loading the page, before I got the URL to macOS's network diagnosis program.

8. cmaier macrumors G3

Have you tried safari instead of opera?

9. MattSeven macrumors member

I would at least disable the 2.4ghz band on the router, just to see if anything changes.

10. manny88 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't at the time when experiencing these constant drops in connection. But I've been using both without hassle when there's been no problems.

11. lostless macrumors 6502

Im having a similar issue. Got the 15" and it contacts so poorly to wifi. With my old 2011 sitting right next to the new one on 5ghz, the 2011 connects at solid 60+ Mb/S. Same wifi on the new one, i can barely get 25. Im also having trouble streaming movies from my NAS. Quicktime just crashes and VLC has issues just keeping up. THIS THING CANT STREAM. No dongles plugged in. Ive restored and done a fresh install and had the same issue.

12. boramilrn macrumors newbie

Same problem here. Wifi occasionally just stops working. If I turn Wifi off then back on again, I'll be back in business.

However, even when it is working, I am not getting the full speed I should be. Upload and/or download speeds sometimes as low as 10Mbps, while my iPhone or my 2012 rMBP right next to it will get 150Mbps.

13. valerie lilian macrumors newbie

valerie lilian

I have the exact problem and i found out that it only happens when i connect my hard drive to the usb-c port by the side of the power plug (the 2 ports on the other side of mac are fine). When the usb-c port unplugged, the wifi back to normal in a second. The usb-c port works like a power plug for internet. I don't know if anyone else experiencing the same problem ? I doubt it is a hardware design defect. I have contected apple support. they told me it is a hardware defect and suggest me to return my computer. But they can not explain the exact reason for the problem. The apple technician told me it is possibly because "the usb-c port which connect to the hard drive was drawing to much power and made the wifi connection off".

I just want to make sure it is not a hardware design failure cause otherwise same thing happens with a new macbook. I want to figure this out before i make a replacement.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017 ---
    Do you have the same problem with the USB-c plug?

14. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Most likely, this is USB causing WiFI interference. Are you currently using mainly or only 2.4 GHz?

If you wish to continue to use the HDD plugging in on that side, or you find that your WiFi speeds are still slowed when plugging in on the opposite side, you could try...
    -changing the channel on the router
    -go to 5GHz (provided the signal doesn't have to pass through too many barriers)
    -try a different cable/dongle (to see if different shielding may help)

15. valerie lilian, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

valerie lilian macrumors newbie

valerie lilian

Hi ZapNZs,

Thank you for the help!

Yes I agree with your solutions and they are very helpful.

I have a 2.9GHz Quad-core processor however i don't know how much GHz my wifi is. It is a household fast broadband.

A bit earlier I have contected apple support. They told me it is a hardware defect (after they confirmed it must not be a software problem) and suggest me to return my computer. But they can not explain the exact reason for the problem. The apple technician told me it is possibly because "the usb-c port which connect to the hard drive was drawing to much power and made the wifi connection off".

It just made me wonder, cause it does not sound like something can be solved by changing to a new device.

Do you think it is a design failure? or is it something of the new macbook that we have to cope with?
    Do you think making a product replacement will solve the problem?

16. ZapNZs, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I've dealt with a bit of interference issues with USB + 2.4 GHz signals, and, to me, this sounds like that. In many cases, changing the WiFi channel dramatically improves this specific type of WiFi issue (many people never configure the router to the optimal channel!), and switching the router frequency from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz eliminates it (the processor is unrelated to the WiFi signal frequency.) This issue seems somewhat more common when a signal has to travel more distance and especially through several walls/floors, is surrounded by other 2.4 GHz signals (clutter), is using a channel that is not considered optimal by the Mac, has to contend with lower quality cables with inferior shielding, is exposed to other multiple sources that also can cause or worsen interference, and it appears to be more noticeable with some routers than with others.

There's no way for me to say this is for certain, though. But, if you change the Wifi channel, change to a 5 GHz signal, try a different router, or buy a different cable for your hard drive, and one of these solutions makes a difference, it's a pretty sure bet that this is WiFi interference. If you change your router to 5 GHz, the issue should disappear entirely because the USB interference is confined to within the 2.4 GHz band -- if you change to 5 GHz and this signal persists, then it is most likely not being caused by USB interference.

It's more of a byproduct of USB than it is a design failure. In many cases, Users can reduce or eliminate the problem, and the many benefits of USB outweighs the drawbacks like this, in my opinion. Further, if the USB device or a low quality cable is the culprit, there's no way for any computer Maker to prevent this.

If this is an interference issue, a replacement probably will not resolve the problem. Changing the router to 5 GHz is probably the fastest way to test this out. Do note that 5 GHz is not as good at penetrating barriers, so, if you switch to 5 GHz and this fixes the issue, you may still need to use 2.4 GHz (depending on router placement) - and so you may want to then explore some of the other options that will reduce such interference while still allowing you to use 2.4 GHz.

Also, are you using USB-IF certified cables? (cheaper cables not built to USB specification can have inferior shielding, which can cause interference issues or make existing inference issues worse.)

Here is some documentation
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542
    https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/w...al-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017 ---
    Have you ever performed the WiFi scan to get the specifics on channel, frequency, noise level, etc?

View attachment 687118
    View attachment 687117