Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattDell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
London, UK
How do people get around not having GPS for maps on iPad?

I'm thinking of buying an iPad 2 for my upcoming trip to Australia and my upcoming move to London. I will be relying heavily on maps to get around and only the 3G iPad has the GPS module, but I don't really see the need for data, especially since I will be out of the country and it won't be cheap.

What do you current iPad 1 owners do about this?

MattDell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
London, UK
Right, but I probably won't have an iPhone for a while. The iPad I'm thinking would be perfect to slide into my messenger bag and use on public transport, etc. and on planes, airports, train stations, etc.

tgcken

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
There are a few 3rd party GPS adapters for the ipod touch which I believe would also work with the ipad. They're anywhere from $80-100, though. For that price, I'd just pay the 3G ipad price and make it all one device.

There's a Garmin built into our car, so I wasn't too concerned with the gps functionality. In a pinch, though, you could always download mapquest or full offline maps to your ipad. It's not turn by turn directing, but it sure beats trying to get a real map folded up again.

MattDell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
London, UK
I meant get the ATT 3G iPad 2.

Yep, I was referring to the person above you. Your post wasn't there when I posted so I didn't quote. ;)

It does make the most sense to just get the 3G, but an extra $100 is hard to swallow when I'm already barely justifying the WiFi version. Hmm... something to mull over before Friday.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
My first iPad was wifi-only. That was fine, but there were times when I wished I'd had real GPS or, of course, 3G internet.

This time I'll buy a 3G model, perhaps in a lower capacity, if I can't reconcile the higher price. But likely I'll stick with 32GB and 3G. I'm not 100% sure myself quite yet.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Once it's jailbroken you can use something like roqyBT or btstack from Cydia to hook your iPad to an external GPS receiver of your choice. I used use my iPod Touch with a Nokia phone and it worked very well.

Euki

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
How do people get around not having GPS for maps on iPad?

I'm thinking of buying an iPad 2 for my upcoming trip to Australia and my upcoming move to London. I will be relying heavily on maps to get around and only the 3G iPad has the GPS module, but I don't really see the need for data, especially since I will be out of the country and it won't be cheap.

What do you current iPad 1 owners do about this?

You could use this http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps-hd/id370488535?mt=8 to cache your maps of Australia and London while you have an internet connection. It stores them so you'll be able to access them offline.

MarioB

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Once it's jailbroken you can use something like roqyBT or btstack from Cydia to hook your iPad to an external GPS receiver of your choice. I used use my iPod Touch with a Nokia phone and it worked very well.

So if I jailbreak it alongside with my IP4 I can use my phone to give my wifi only ipad2 internet and gps?

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
So if I jailbreak it alongside with my IP4 I can use my phone to give my wifi only ipad2 internet and gps?

Your iPad2 should be able to use most external receivers that supports bluetooth. However I'm not sure if there's an utility that turns your iPhone 4 into a GPS receiver as I don't have an iPhone. Anyone?

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
My first iPad was wifi-only. That was fine, but there were times when I wished I'd had real GPS or, of course, 3G internet.

This time I'll buy a 3G model, perhaps in a lower capacity, if I can't reconcile the higher price. But likely I'll stick with 32GB and 3G. I'm not 100% sure myself quite yet.

This is my biggest issue. I got the wifi version figuring I would just use a mifi if I needed Internet. I really regret not getting the 3G one. I will only use the 3G maybe once every year or so for vacation but I really wish I had the gps. I plan on downloading navigon so I don't need to use data.

Now I am just going to need to find a way to mount it in my car without having to remove my stereo and stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.