Wifi iPad doesn't have GPS, what's the solution?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MattDell, Mar 9, 2011.

1. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

How do people get around not having GPS for maps on iPad?

I'm thinking of buying an iPad 2 for my upcoming trip to Australia and my upcoming move to London. I will be relying heavily on maps to get around and only the 3G iPad has the GPS module, but I don't really see the need for data, especially since I will be out of the country and it won't be cheap.

What do you current iPad 1 owners do about this?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I get by just fine with my iPhone 4 as my GPS.

Also, much easier to hold and navigate than an iPad.

3. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    This probably isn't a helpful answer, but if I need a map, I'm likely mobile. The best solution is to look at Maps on my iPhone 4. The iPad would be a little unwieldy in the car or even on foot.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you get the ATT 3G version you can use a British SIM for when you are in London and likewise for Australia.

5. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

MattDell

Right, but I probably won't have an iPhone for a while. The iPad I'm thinking would be perfect to slide into my messenger bag and use on public transport, etc. and on planes, airports, train stations, etc.

6. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

In that case, yes, sounds like you'll want a 3G GSM version.

7. tgcken macrumors member

There are a few 3rd party GPS adapters for the ipod touch which I believe would also work with the ipad. They're anywhere from $80-100, though. For that price, I'd just pay the 3G ipad price and make it all one device.

There's a Garmin built into our car, so I wasn't too concerned with the gps functionality. In a pinch, though, you could always download mapquest or full offline maps to your ipad. It's not turn by turn directing, but it sure beats trying to get a real map folded up again.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I meant get the ATT 3G iPad 2.

9. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

MattDell

Yep, I was referring to the person above you. Your post wasn't there when I posted so I didn't quote. ;)

It does make the most sense to just get the 3G, but an extra $100 is hard to swallow when I'm already barely justifying the WiFi version. Hmm... something to mull over before Friday.

10. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

My first iPad was wifi-only. That was fine, but there were times when I wished I'd had real GPS or, of course, 3G internet.

This time I'll buy a 3G model, perhaps in a lower capacity, if I can't reconcile the higher price. But likely I'll stick with 32GB and 3G. I'm not 100% sure myself quite yet.

11. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Once it's jailbroken you can use something like roqyBT or btstack from Cydia to hook your iPad to an external GPS receiver of your choice. I used use my iPod Touch with a Nokia phone and it worked very well.

12. Euki macrumors newbie

You could use this http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps-hd/id370488535?mt=8 to cache your maps of Australia and London while you have an internet connection. It stores them so you'll be able to access them offline.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, the 3G version makes the most sense.

14. MarioB macrumors member

So if I jailbreak it alongside with my IP4 I can use my phone to give my wifi only ipad2 internet and gps?

15. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Your iPad2 should be able to use most external receivers that supports bluetooth. However I'm not sure if there's an utility that turns your iPhone 4 into a GPS receiver as I don't have an iPhone. Anyone?

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

17. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

This is my biggest issue. I got the wifi version figuring I would just use a mifi if I needed Internet. I really regret not getting the 3G one. I will only use the 3G maybe once every year or so for vacation but I really wish I had the gps. I plan on downloading navigon so I don't need to use data.

Now I am just going to need to find a way to mount it in my car without having to remove my stereo and stuff.

18. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

19. iserian macrumors 6502

Plus 2