Wifi iPad - GPS via iPhone Hotspot?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macwick, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Macwick macrumors regular

I haven't picked up an iPad 2 yet and I'm wresting w/ the Wifi vs 3G decision. I don't think I need the 3G connection, but I really don't want to lose GPS functionality.

I've read a bunch of blogs that suggest that you can get an accurate GPS signal when connected to an iPhone via HotSpot, but no one really knows for sure. There are plenty of 'theories' that this is happening, but no reliable confirmation and nothing from Apple about it.

Any truth to this? I would think if it were a feature Apple would document it somewhere....

2. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I've seen videos where people use iPhone's as a hotspot, and using there wifi only iPads as a GPS, but technically it's more accurate with assisted gps... which is only installed in the 3G version. Where the wifi only version may suffer is if you driving in an area that has tall buildings and/or tree cover.

3. Psychmike macrumors regular

There are several confirmed reports that using a Wi-Fi iPad tethered to an iPhone provides near real-time and accurate GPS tracking through use of the iPhone's GPS information. The only downside is that the iPad does not appear to update as quickly as with the 3G model so there is some lag between the position displayed and your actual position. From the YouTube videos, it looks like the information is updated every 15-30 seconds or so.

4. goMac macrumors 603

Accurate? Yes. Real time? No. The iPhone hot spot updates are a long way from real time. You definitely wouldn't want to use them for navigation, for example.

5. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Any recommendations for GPS software to use?

Want to use the GPS for genealoy purposes like getting the coordinates for graves especially the ones out in the middle of a corn field in Nebraska.

Not real interested in street nav.

6. goMac macrumors 603

I'd warn against using the iPhone tethered GPS for anything where you need accuracy... Again, with the refresh times so out of whack I'd use it for general "you're in this 10 yard area" locations.

If you need accuracy, get one with built in GPS.

(As for the tagging, there are various apps on the store.)

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

For that you might as well just use an app on the iPhone directly. I'm pretty sure you can't install any apps on a WiFi-only iPad that are flagged as requiring GPS anyway.