WiFi IS A Problem Too, Not Just Signal Issues With The iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajayvarma87, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ajayvarma87 macrumors member

When you cover up the antenna on the iPhone 4, Wifi speeds drop down to a trickle! Is this just my iPhone 4, or is everyone having the same issue? I done a speed test using the app and when im not touching it, its 7.02 and 7.06Mpbs and when i cover up and hold the phone it drops down to 2.19 and 1.88Mbps. Thats crazy! This is a major issue, its a hand held device which you hold and Steve Jobs is saying dont hold it like that?! oh come on!

2. shawntkeating macrumors member

I can replicate this problem.

Here is how.

With SAME hand, touch with one finger along the top, bridging the line break and with thumb touch right *or left* hand side line break.

Wifi will go down at least a bar or more depending on your signal.

3. Eric2 macrumors member

Same here. I’m regretting selling my 3G phone.
    :(

4. ajayvarma87 thread starter macrumors member

This is MAJOR! Download speed test everyone and look at the significant difference in the speed test. Im even getting differences of 0.57Mbps compared to 7.06Mbps untouched

5. ajayvarma87 thread starter macrumors member

Iv still got my 3g, but i really dont want to go back to it because i do love my iPhone 4, but these issues have to be resolved, and the only way it can be resolved is if apple does a recall on every iPhone 4, and redesigns it and sends one back out to us!

6. Eric2 macrumors member

I agree but what worries me is how long is this going to take. If they recall the phones I will need to buy something else, not good. Hopefully they will allow you to swap phones over when the replacements are ready but in the meantime they should give the Bumpers out free until this mess has been resolved.

7. MrPaulRicard macrumors newbie

Tried my daughter's iP4 wifi today and the phone has the same problem.

Luckily she will not have much use for the wifi at the moment.

8. siraether macrumors newbie

I cannot duplicate this on my 16GB iPhone 4. With or without the bumper and gripping antenna and not gripping antenna all the download speeds come back 8500~ kbps.

9. Odid macrumors regular

Yep, also having problems with wifi. I'm not talking about touching the antennas either.

Used my iPhone 4 and 3GS and the 3GS was not having problems on wifi while the iPhone 4's was. It was just stalling and eventually just said "safari cannot connect blah blah" while the same page loaded fine on the 3GS. I tried this on several sites too.

10. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

Covering the antenna took a slight hit in speed, about 200 kbps. But I can live with that.

What I cannot live with, however is the crippling signal loss that renders my phone unusable.

11. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

12. ajayvarma87 thread starter macrumors member

every iPhone is having these problems, not just a handful. Its a design flaw. I like to stream videos on my iPhone horizontally and when you hold you phone horizontal, you have to touch both antennas and speed just drops right down.:mad:

13. kilidar macrumors member

I just tried the wifi speed test (holding/not holding) on an iPad and on a 3GS running ios4, the results were the same whether holding or not holding the device. The iPad speed test where just under 10 Mbits/sec and the 3GS just under 7. Using the same wifi AP, DSL and test server.

14. macbd macrumors regular

Anyone experiencing wifi issues with a bumper on? Or does that resolve it?

15. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

Not seeing this with mine. Why do I get the feeling that people just want to complain sometimes?

16. aevreyb macrumors newbie

It seems like whenever something new comes out, there's always somebody talking **** on it.

I cannot replicate this problem. I don't have a bumper.

I can say though I do have the signal problems, but only when I grip both bottom side bands tightly.

17. TavisB macrumors member

I can not replicate this on mine. My download speeds actually went up a bit when I held it vs on desk. 3G is affected on my iP4 too. Maybe its an issue of a weak cellular signal but a strong wi-fi signal?

18. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

can not duplicate this issue with mine either

19. Eric2 macrumors member

People aren’t making this up. I cant make a phone call or send a text when I hold the iphone from home. Place the iphone on the table I can get 3 or 4 bars. Hold the phone in my left or right hand I have no signal after about 5 seconds.

With WiFi when the signal is strong the signal does not drop but go into a different room where the signal is weaker the signal starts to fall very quickly when your holding the phone. If I hadn't sold my 3G I would be returning the iPhone 4 ASAP.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Don't resort to hyperbole. Every iPhone is not having these problems.

21. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

At least you can connect to wifi. Neither my ipad or i4 will connect.

22. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i have 2 of them and can replicate this issue on both. I'm hoping it will go away. I'm trying not to think about the reception and wifi issues. ugh...

23. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

24. phrint macrumors 6502

No problems here. Do have the problem when I have a weak 3G signal.

25. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Maybe the same phones with reception issues are having wifi issues? As my phone has neither.