Wifi is always on...how to shut it off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coyoteblue56, Oct 27, 2015.

1. coyoteblue56 macrumors newbie

For the past few weeks, I've noticed that my wifi is on when I come out of sleep mode. Because it appears to be running all the time, my battery life is shorter. I can't see anything in system preferences that addresses this. Any ideas about how I can get my wifi to disconnect when my MB is asleep? Thanks.

2. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Don't worry. It's off in sleep mode. It only stays connected when plugged in. Unplug overnight and check how much is used overnight to verify nothing is wrong.

3. coyoteblue56 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I've had this Macbook for a few years and until recently when I lifted the lid from sleep the wifi icon up top would search for my connection for a moment or two and connect. Now the icon is always on when I open my lid. And my battery level is down as well whereas in the past it would always be the same.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Are you sure shutting the lid is putting it into sleep mode?? As wifi will always turn off in sleep by default.

I think the issue may be something keeping it awake when you close the lid rather than wifi being on in sleep mode.