Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grggary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Is anyone else having a problem with the wifi switch being grayed out on the iPhone 4S? This appears to be a problem that arose after the iOS6 update, and 6.0.1 did not resolve it. Additionally, the bluetooth switch is just a perpetually spinning gear, so that doesn't work as well. One thread on Apple's support community is 17 pages long concerning this trouble and it appears I am not alone. No one in that thread has posted much of anything helpful, aside from taking the phone to an Apple store for a hardware replacement. Some suggest sticking the phone in the freezer, but that seems a bit extreme and just isn't something I want to do. I've tried every reset suggested by Apple on their support page, but to no avail. An Apple store is about 20 miles away, so it's doable, but still an inconvenience. The support page says it happens in "rare instances", but I'm wondering if this isn't as rare as they suggest. Any indications that this is more widespread, or do I likely have a "rare" defective phone? Just interested in what others think or if anyone here is having similar issues?

yateseyd1991

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
UK
Is anyone else having a problem with the wifi switch being grayed out on the iPhone 4S? This appears to be a problem that arose after the iOS6 update, and 6.0.1 did not resolve it. Additionally, the bluetooth switch is just a perpetually spinning gear, so that doesn't work as well. One thread on Apple's support community is 17 pages long concerning this trouble and it appears I am not alone. No one in that thread has posted much of anything helpful, aside from taking the phone to an Apple store for a hardware replacement. Some suggest sticking the phone in the freezer, but that seems a bit extreme and just isn't something I want to do. I've tried every reset suggested by Apple on their support page, but to no avail. An Apple store is about 20 miles away, so it's doable, but still an inconvenience. The support page says it happens in "rare instances", but I'm wondering if this isn't as rare as they suggest. Any indications that this is more widespread, or do I likely have a "rare" defective phone? Just interested in what others think or if anyone here is having similar issues?

Recently had my 4S replaced under warranty, the replacement had the same issue. The only option is to have it replaced by Apple as this is a motherboard fault

grggary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Recently had my 4S replaced under warranty, the replacement had the same issue. The only option is to have it replaced by Apple as this is a motherboard fault

Wow, I wonder how widespread this is? Seems like a lot of people are having the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.