Wifi is greyed out

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ambkg21, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Ambkg21 macrumors newbie

Hello, my iphone 4s's wifi had been greyed out for a couple months now. I've done the freezer trick, but that only works for a day or so. I've done all the other obvious things in settings and what not, it's obviously a hardware issue. So my question is, what can I do about this? Can I contact Apple, will they do anything? Is there somewhere I can go to?? I just need to fix this pain in the butt problem...

Thank you!!!

2. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

If your phone is still under warranty and it's not jailbroken, Apple should replace it.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its under warranty Apple will replace it for free.
    If not you can pay $199 for a replacement or find a repair shop that might be able fix the wifi.

4. Ambkg21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe I bought the phone in February of last year, so I'm guessing the 1 year warranty is now void:(.

5. Ambkg21 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I go about getting the replacement for $199? Would they then take the broken phone?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    You go to Apple and tell them your wifi is not working and you will like to pay the out of warranty fee to have your iphone replaced.

7. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Tbh, if it's only *just* out of warranty it'll be at their discretion. You may be pleasantly surprised :)

8. Ambkg21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a chat with Apple, they said it would be 199 for a replacement AND 199 to just have it repaired...! Well for that price I can stick it out with no wifi...

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is a looong thread here on Apple's support forums with others having this same issue. Looks like a logic board failure in the phone.

I see from reading the thread some people had limited success heating and cooling the phone (hair dryer / freezer :eek:).

10. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

$400 repair. That's insane!

Oh Apple and your premium prices. :eek:

Some people offer repair services for this kind of thing on eBay, maybe you should try one of them. They are bound to be a lot cheaper than Apple.

11. Ambkg21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I apologize, I meant 199 for a replacement OR to repair my current one, so not 400 ;) . Still, I thought a repair would at least be cheaper than it would to get a new one...

12. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

Ah, I see. I knew those prices were a bit high, even for Apple. :p

Well like I said, you might find a company on eBay that do cheap repairs.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your choice but I'd stop by an Apple store and have them check it out.