Wifi is it really needed?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Oct 18, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I am on a cdma network so no Iphone for me. Anyways I have the choices of the Black Berry Storm 2, or the Black Berry Tour 9630. Which has no wifi. The carrier I have has unlimited email, instant messaging, and internet for $30.00 for the black berries. $10/mb for U.S roaming. So I was wondering with that is Wifi really needed?

2. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Honestly, if you've got good 3G coverage, then it's not the end of the world not to have WiFi...though it is nice in a pinch. I've got my phone (Softbank X02HT) set to use 3(.5)G all the time, while never even touching the WiFi...saves me battery life, and I don't miss it a bit. On the other hand, back when I had an iPhone (original model), and was stuck with EDGE data speeds, WiFi was a godsend.

3. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well wifi still will have faster data transferring than 3G and it also does not drain the battery as fast as 3G.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

6. Andy348 macrumors 6502

For an iPhone, it is a nice touch to have wifi. For a Blackberry, they're known to not fully utilize the wifi network, and for me on my Bold, I don't notice any big speed difference. Definitely not a deal breaker for me. Honestly, if I could have got my Bold $200 cheaper without Wifi, I would have done it.

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

That matters. Is Wi-Fi a better speed than the 3G connection you'd have?

If so, it isn't needed, per se, but it is a nice touch.

If it's slower, than no, it is not needed.

8. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I think my carriers edvo is 1500 kbit/s to 3000 kbit/s.