WiFi Isn't The Way It Was

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by VideoViking, Nov 13, 2010.

1. VideoViking macrumors newbie

My sister owns an iPod Touch. Three weeks ago, we upgraded the device to version 4 because most of the Apps were not functioning under version 3 anymore. After the upgrade, something happened with the WiFi.

After not using the iPod Touch for about five to ten minutes, when she would go back to check something online, the device would pop up an error message of "Not connected to the internet." The WiFi is still working, but it refuses to connect. This happens both after sleep mode and during regular use. In addition, when WiFi access is regained, the signal's strength is reduced to literally one bar (approx. the speed of a modem), even when it's near the router. Our router is a NETGEAR WNR834Bv2.

My sister has two iPod Touches, both on version 4. It's only one of the Touches that has is having the problem. Looks like we got ourselves a bug.

2. BASRification macrumors member

I would try resetting the network settings before digging in deeper. Just go to Settings > General > Reset > "Reset Network Settings".

3. VideoViking thread starter macrumors newbie

We have tried that several times. It does fix it temporarily, but the problem comes back afterwards.

4. tablo13, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

5. MorgenTee, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

MorgenTee macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem with the wifi on a 2nd generation iTouch running iOS 3.1.3.
    The problem stopped when I decided to try to turn off MAC adress filtering for the wifi on my router...

6. Warbitrary macrumors regular

I'm having a similar problem: The wifi only refuses to work when waking from sleep, it doesn't cut off during regular use. I toggle airplane mode to get it to reconnect, and the signal/speed is normal.

iPod touch 3G, iOS 4.1

7. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I don't know if this will apply to you, but I was having odd network issues on my Touch 3G (networks I had already been connected to not showing up until I entered Wifi settings and physically reconnected to it). I took it to an Apple Store and the guy determined that there were out-of-memory errors in the log. He said he's seen weird behavior when it runs out of memory, especially network errors.

Try quitting all your apps and see if the problem goes away (you know, double tap the home button to reveal the row of app icons, then touch-and-hold one of them until they start shaking, then tap the 'X' on each one until there are no more apps left in that section of the screen.) I'd be interested in knowing if this helps you or not.

Good luck!

8. ndgraz macrumors newbie

I had the same exact problem with a new iPod Tough 4G. I knew I was not having router issues because I have an iPhone 4 running the same IOS (4.1). But the touch would randomly just fall off the network after not being used for a period of time. Very annoying.

I finally went into my wfi settings for my network and gave the touch a static IP address versus using DHCP. I have not had a problem since I gave it a static address on my router.

I'd be interested to see if this fixes your problem as well.

Anybody else having problems? Seems to me this should not be happening when I have two devices with the same IOS on the network.

9. Warbitrary macrumors regular

I tried quitting all apps, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Nor did upgrading to 4.2.1

I can't give my iPod a static address because I don't have access to the router (school wifi).

10. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Take it to the Apple Store and have them hook it up to their diagnostic software. Maybe they can figure out what's wrong with it.

11. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Well.....on the subject of WiFi....I noticed my Touch 4G isn't as sensitive as my 3G was in the same area in picking up a hot spot.

12. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

I thought so, too, at first. Neither my iPad or Touch seemed to be as fast as before the upgrade but I just ran Speed Test on my Touch and I got a test of 10.71 Mbps download and 5.88 Mbps download. I can't do much better than that.