Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Whenever I wake my MBA from sleep, it NEVER connects to my saved networks. It worked well for the first month of owning it, but now it's a mess. It's infuriating and takes forever for the wifi to realize it can't connect, ask me what network I want, and then slowly connect. I've reset the PRAM and deleted and resaved the network settings but neither method worked.

I considered taking this to the genius bar but I don't see how they can help since this seems to be solely a software issue. Any help would be great and I would be interested to know if anyone else is dealing with this obnoxious issue.

brandon8u

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2009
My House
Just got my air 2 weeks ago and it takes up to 2min. to connect to my schools networks. It also doesn't connect to my 1st preferred school network. However, when I'm at home it instantly connects and finds my network with no problems. So maybe it could be the router? I have also tried resetting everything with no luck.

I've also herd a lot of other people with the same issue on the air.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Apparently it is related to bluetooth. I turned my bluetooth off and now I don't have any problems with connecting automatically from sleep. I can handle leaving my bluetooth off but it is still a major issue that should be handled.

^I don't know if it will help your school network issue, but you should give it a shot. For my school network, I had to create a "location" and edit it with my login and school network information so maybe that's your issue since you have no problem connecting at home.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Started having the same issue in the past week or so - I don't recall having a problem before. Now the one thing I have changed is that I installed Sophos last weekend.

I just went into network diagnostics and it found my wifi network and I was back online within a minute. Still a shock after 6 months of faultless OS X use.

Bluetooth is off, so that isn't an issue. Sophos might bince I don't realy need e the next thing I try - not sure why it would affect t'internet but since I don't really need it I can get rid

nefa

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
I had the same issue a few days ago - my MBA just wouldn't connect to the network anymore when waking up from sleep.

I fixed it by creating a new location in the Network settings - I don't know what was wrong with the other one, but it solved the problem.

Akamatsu

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
Austin USA and Japan
Here is the solution

I had the same problem. Wouldn't automatically connect to my preferred network.

Open network preferences under the wifi symbol.

Highlight wifi on the left.

Click on advanced

Highlight the preferred network and delete it by clicking the minus sign.

Click the plus sign and add the preferred network back in.

This procedure fixed the problem for me.

sugardrum

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
happens on my Macbook Pro too

I have a an old Macbook Pro recently upgraded to Lion that has similar problems connecting to Wi-Fi after awaking from sleep.

I found changing the order of the saved Wi-Fi networks in the advanced Network section so that the one you are currently using it at the top of the list, then turning the Wi-Fi off and on again usually gets it working again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.