Wifi issue on mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kaibex, May 14, 2012.

1. kaibex macrumors 6502

kaibex

I have had my MBP for 3 years now and ever since I upgraded to Lion (a month or so after it was released) I intermittently Lose ability to access wifi. On top of screen wifi symbol just turns to an outline and says 'wifi: no hardware installed' it generally happens when I use after standby/sleep.

Apple care have confirmed there was a problem with Lion and iMacs, which is exact same problem I have but have won't admit that it may be Lion and continue to insist that its my hardware, and as it is out of warranty there is nothing they can do.

After to pointless appointments with a 'Apple genius' I have still not got any closer to resolving this issue. Both times the guy started by saying 'must be your hardware' but then realised it work with different OS so insisted that a reinstall would solve but it hasn't.

I called Apple care who seemed unwilling to help but when I mentioned I believed the issue was to do with Lion then he said they have given extended warranty to people who upgraded to Lion. I went through some trouble shooting with them but it was the usual work for a few hours then problems re-occurs. When I called back I was put straight through to a level two guy who said I need to run it with a 'erase and install' and see if the problem occurs with a black canvas so to speak. It still does and all they have said is that I keep trying 'erase install'

It is basically ridiculous how Apple won't admit that they may be at fault and are trying to say its my MBP.

Has anyone had similar issue with Lion or experienced similar difficult with Apple support/CS?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Erase and restore is pretty painless, just restore with a time machine backup.

3. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

I have done that 3 times and thats all they suggest. It would be a bizarre coincidence that my MBP developed a hardware problem at the exact same time that I upgraded to Lion but that all Apple are saying it is, rather than admitting it may be a fault with Lion. They have admitted iMacs have that fault but won't acknowledge that it is present on my MBP as they have not identified this yet, which is ridiculous if they just brush it under the carpet like they are trying to do with my issue

4. lamboman macrumors 6502

I'd suggest making another, small partition (as small as possible) and installing a fresh copy on there, just to see if you still get the problem on a fresh install. That way, you aren't wiping your whole machine for potentially no reason.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Countless folks are probably running Lion on the same MBP. Strange the forums aren't flooded with the same issue.

Which OSX did your MBP come with? How are you performing your clean install?

If you reinstall SL does the problem go away?

6. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

It came with Leopard, I have moved and have no idea where my Snow Leopard disc is :(.

If after two erase and fresh installs I am still having the issue where it works for a short time then goes again I am not sure if there is any point in creating a partition etc.

Im not an expert but if it was hardware I don't see how it would work sometimes and not after sleep mode

7. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Okay obvious question, are you running 10.7.4 and have you applied all the software updates? Out of curosity, when you have done a clean install did you immediately re-install any data and apps or did you see if the WiFi issue happens when the system is in a clean state?

The only time I have seen 'wifi: no hardware installed' is when I boot into safe mode. On some Macs safe mode WiFi does not work. If it were me I would keep calling Apple and press them to get it fixed. I know it is frustrating. Hope you get it fixed.

8. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

I tried using it 'as new' without restoring any of my backed up data. Yeah I am running the latest software. I know I intend to, got my third appointment booked so will see what happens.

9. Tryde macrumors newbie

I am experiencing the exact same problem with my MBP 2011, starting 3 days ago. I've been running Lion for months and haven't had this problem before..

10. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

Had my third appointment today and left MBP in store. All tests they ran on my hardware came back fine and they completed a 4th erase install. I got home and "no hardware found" waiting for a level two guy to call me back after he calls store to see exactly what they did.

At the start I was just hoping that it could be fixed but now they are starting to frustrate me by refusing to contemplate their 'glorious' software could be at fault.

11. Tryde macrumors newbie

12. Tryde macrumors newbie

Didn't work for long.. 2 minutes later Wifi: No hardware installed.