Wifi issue with IMAC27

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RICARDO13, Aug 2, 2011.

1. RICARDO13 macrumors newbie

Really pissed off to be disconnect randomly on wifi with my brand new imac...in the same room my HP computer laptop works well not being disconnected. It is a pity to buy Apple, expensive DVD reader at the end...
    I moved from Windows to Apple for the first and the last time, Apple will never have any $ from me. Poor technical performances and bad services. They took the computer for 1 week, no replacement...ship it back to me and same issue. My friends are laughing at me and at Apple as well.
    Enough for me.:mad:

2. Jexta macrumors member

Just because your HP laptop works fine with the WiFi network doesn't mean that the problem can only lie with your Mac. I would test the mac on various WiFi networks and see if you continue to have the same problem. I would also try using a cable connection and see if that rectifies the issue. If possible, even borrow someone elses WiFi router and use it on your network and see if you have trouble.

It seems you are jumping to some very large conclusions here.

3. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

You need to change some router settings I would say.

Try making your wifi security to WPA2-PSK, try AES only and put the channel to 1 or 11.

If possible and your router allows it, move it to 802.11 n

4. RICARDO13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer.
    I tried with a cable and it works fine.
    I'm sorry how can you explain the HP Laptop works fine and the iMAC (1800 EUORS !!!!) doesn't work. My iMAC lost connection randomly and speed is reduced sometimes w/o any explanation. I also change channel, reboot the box,...I bring back my computer to Apple again tomorrow. Sorry, I really think I made a mistake by buying a so expensive computer for such performances. I will let you know the conclusion, hopefully they will find something wrong to fix.

5. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

It has been happening to me ever since I upgraded to Lion. You're not alone.

6. 88 King, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I had the same problem when switched to Lion from trouble free SL. All other WIFI devices in my household works fine. I could not get WIFI to work problem free in Lion, so have switched back to SL.

This problem is DEFINITELY coursed by Lion.

P.S. Windows 7 in Bootcamp also have no problems with WIFI, so it can't be hardware in the imac.

The imac is a wonderful machine, I'm sorry you had such poor 1st experience with mac. I'd ask Apple to give you a copy of SL to get the machine working while wait for Apple to release a fix for this problem. You could also install Windows 7 onto Bootcamp in the main time.

7. RICARDO13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I let my computer to Apple care center, they kept it for 2 full weeks. In the report they said they changed the airport card...but the same issues appear. Porr wifi connection, connection lost for not reasons randomly.
    I asked to be reimbursed. No answer, very poor support.
    I will never spend anymore any $ in Apple stuff. I really regret this purchase. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::

8. VulchR, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

@OP: Sorry to hear of your problems. I haven't had any issues so far, and I am using a 2011 27 iMac. Apple does have a site for feedback and support, so you might find something there. There is a thread (and here) in the Apple support forums and if one reads through the rants there are some practical tips that might help resolve the issue.

9. G-Force macrumors 6502a

It's either an issue with OS X Lion or with your Wifi device. Macs are compatible with almost all of them, but sometimes a Mac will not work correctly with certain Wifi devices. I've had a lot of issues with my TP-LINK router, but after a recent firmware update everything is working really well.

In this case you could try to update the firmware of your Wifi device, or just wait for Lion 10.7.2.

10. stjames70 macrumors member

Buy an Airport Extreme -- trust me -- you will love it

If you like Apple products, purchase a new Airport Extreme Base Station. I have found in the past that you get superior performance by using it with Apple and non-Apple products. I am thinking some setting on your non-apple router is causing these issues, and this will never get resolved until you junk your current wireless router. For US$179.00, or less than 10% of the purchase price of your iMac, I highly recommend you take that route. You will be an amazingly happy camper and wonder why you ever bothered with any non-apple hardware to begging with.

11. sagimac macrumors newbie

if you're putting that many angry faces far your comments, why can't you return the iMac for a refund? I understand you are pissed, but I would suggest you at least try the router settings change mentioned above. it won't hurt anything and at least you can rule it out and firmly point the finger at Lion.

12. MacHamster68, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

come on be fair it looks fantastic or? thats worth the money or who needs a well performing PC if you can have a great looking intel powered Mac for more money

btw it helps if the iMac can see the router nearby , facing the router with the screen , connection will drop if the router is facing the back of the iMac, a mate had the same problem ,and turning the iMac around helped as the back seems to be acting like a parabolic dish now the iMac is 3 feet away from the router and problem solved stable wireless connection, before he had the router in the groundfloor and his iMac in the first floor and the connection was dropping everytime he did open a browser, moved his office in the groundfloor and the dining room in the first floor helped a lot , his misses is only a bit upset about the changes , but he found a solution after she told him "the iMac or me "...she's living at her mums since 2 weeks now

13. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had wifi issues and set my iMac to not sleep as a temp fix.

14. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be so fast to jump at this- I'm having very similar issues (I have to cycle the Airport on my 27" iMac whenever I reboot it) and I'm using a brand-new 2TB Time Capsule. Almost as bad, Time Machine regularly loses visibility of the Time Capsule despite being able to see it in Finder. So, it's not a guarantee that simply getting an Apple router will fix the issues...

15. Texran macrumors regular

Agreed, I have the same problems.

16. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

How old is the HP laptop? Does it run just b/g? Can you run an exclusive N network? How old is the router? what brand is it? What different settings have you tried? Are you running Lion or Snow Leopard?

Hopefully by now you have a satisfactory solution.

17. deadbear macrumors newbie

deadbear

Mines a dud too

Brand new 27 BTO iMac with a brand new Aiport Extreme, and I'm getting the same issues. I don't care what the cause is, Apple should have had this working correctly right out of the box. And Lion sucks large, I have a MBP that I upgraded to Lion, lots of beach balls, I was hoping that the new iMac with a factory install of Lion would have been better, NOPE.

18. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Is this only on the 2011 iMac 27 or does it impact the 2010 versions? I haven't noticed any issue on the 24" 2009 or the 2010 27" I own, though I've only installed Lion on the 24" so far. Tried on Dlink & Netgear Wireless N routers. If it's 2011 w/Lion seems Apple missed something in product testing because too many people are complaining of this same issue. Obviously, not as widespread as some feel but enough that it should get some notice from Apple.

Cheers,