Wifi issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by brando06, Aug 21, 2008.

1. brando06 macrumors regular

I know this has been brought up plenty of times, but it's a very weird issue that i can't figure out even after searching it. So since i bought my ipod touch, i have had wifi working on it (which is almost since launch). Just about a month ago the wifi stopped working in my house. I use a d-link wireless router and have not reset it or anything. I thought that it was the ipod that had the problem, but today while i was walking my dogs i found a wireless network that was not locked and tried it out. BAM the internet worked again. So i think it has something to do with my wireless router here at home!! Can someone please help me out, and hopefully you can do it in leimans terms, because i ain't completely technically sound!! Thanks a bunch!!

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

yea, this happened with my own wifi router, a netgear one. netgear is known to make routers that are good, but signal steadily goes downward. try a new router and see if that solves the problem.

3. brando06 thread starter macrumors regular

So you're saying i need to go out and buy myself a new router!! I read someone else say shut down the router for the evening maybe that may give it a break?? I don't know about that!!

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

well you could try that, but eventually every router needs to be replaced. its a question of when. mine was in service for over 2 years. which is probably the lifespan of a router. 1-2 years.

5. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

I think the longest I've had is 2.5 years (wireless at least) the shortest is a 5 months (fried from a surge) they do crap out thats why if you don't want to buy the high end you can get them for pretty cheap.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

my netgear was a refurb tho. but yea, that is the general idea.

7. brando06 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand that, but my wireless router still works for my internet which i'm using right now and my Xbox 360. So what's the difference with it working for my touch?

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Unplug it for a few minutes, then plug it back in. If that doesn't work, look for a reset button or hole, and press it (insert a paper clip). You'll usually only do a factory reset if you hold the reset in for several seconds. A single quick press essentially reboots the device. Probably only a little better than an unplug. If neither thing gets your wifi working again, call the provider.

9. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

What firmware are you running on the iPod touch? 1.4 firmware had a DNS addressing issue and I couldn't get online most places. 2.0 firmware fixed that, I assume the 1.5 firmware will to, if you don't want to pay for the 2.0 upgrade.

10. brando06 thread starter macrumors regular

Got it working without buying a new router... i restored it for a 3rd time and bam it worked!!

11. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

well i never had any problems with wi-fi at anywhere. it is really fast and sometimes even faster than my old Dell laptop ^^