WiFi Issues in 10.6 on two different Macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by im_to_hyper, Nov 18, 2009.

1. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

I have a 13" MacBook Pro purchased October 2009 and a 13" MacBook purchased in August 2006.

The MacBook Pro is Model 5,5.
    Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8D)
    Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.19)

Originally came with 10.5 Leopard, upgraded with $9.95 disc to Snow Leopard, now up to 10.6.2. I will occasionally experience an issue when connected to the internet where the airport icon will indicate I'm connected, but Safari and Chrome will refuse to load webpages. I have to click to turn Airport off, then back on. Sometimes it works, and other times I have to restart.

The MacBook is Model 1,1
    Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x86)
    Firmware Version: Atheros 5424: 2.0.19.4

With this, sometimes the issue is the same as the MacBook Pro, but other times it will show the icon as being completely disconnected. A reboot fixes this. Laptop worked just fine under Tiger 10.4.11, is not running 10.6.2 via Archive and install to Leopard and subsequent Archive and Install from 10.6 (retail upgrade package for Tiger owners).

Does anyone have any insight as to what might be causing this?

2. Reddragon79 macrumors newbie

I have similar problems, with roughly 11 + computers that have the Atheros 5424: 2.0.19.4 air card in it connecting to my wireless access points. I have Apple looking into it, it is all the way up to the Senior Advisor and engineers.
    I will let you know more as soon as they get back to me.

3. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Hi there!

Have they said anything yet? WiFi is working fine on the Broadcom chipset, but on my friend's MacBook with the Atheros chipset there are still tons of disconnects.

4. interconnect macrumors regular

interconnect

It could be due to wireless interference. If there is too much it was cause your connection to drop out. This has happened to me before. Make sure the wireless channel in your router settings is set as far away from neighboring networks as possible. Only channels 1, 6 and 11 do not overlap each other.

5. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Thanks, I'll try that. Right now, we have two identical MacBooks together and only one is experiencing the disconnects. Might be a software issue. This one was upgraded via archive and install from 10.4 - 10.5 - 10.6. Maybe a reformat is in order eventually...