Wifi issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Crazy Badger, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Anyone having intermittent problems with wifi when resuming from sleep? It doesn't happen all of the time, but sometimes I open the lid and whilst the wifi icon will say I'm connected to my network, when I try to connect to anything (internally or externally) it doesn't work. Haven't managed to pin it down to a specific scenario, although it might be related to tethering my iPhone and then connecting to wifi, but again not every time.

I'm having to switch wifi on/off every now and again, which is not a big problem, but one I'd prefer not to have all the same!

2. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I've seen where if I open lid, and it says I'm connected by the WiFi icon, I will type search in URL bar and it comes back indicating I'm not connected, but when I hit enter again, it goes.

I've seen this happen 3 times in two weeks, very sporadic.

3. SumNextGai macrumors newbie

The same happened to me twice, but I had to turn Wi-Fi off and on. After that it worked just fine.

4. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Yeah, it's not a big issue as switching wifi off/on fixes the problem, but it's one I could do without especially given this is sold as a wireless device! Hopefully it will be sorted in a future macOS update.

5. double329 macrumors 6502

I have been using mine everyday since the beginning of Sept. wifi on rMB has been good and i have not seen issue. I am using Netgear. check the router channel.

6. rob.james.arias macrumors regular

rob.james.arias

Had that problem, take it to the Genius Bar if you can. Have them run a full diagnostics. See if you can replicate it for them while in the store. In the case of my rMB it needed a new logic board.

7. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Agh! I had the problem again today after tethering to my phone, so whilst it wasn't a massive inconvenience thought I'd call Apple Support.

An hour later, and I'm kind of wishing I hadn't. After various restarts and key presses I now have a machine with no Bluetooth or Power icons and an appointment at the Apple Store in Edinburgh tomorrow Seems like whatever they reset identified some other problems that couldn't be resolved over the phone.

Frustrating given it was a minor irritation before and now I've got a machine that iStat says doesn't have a battery, macOS says doesn't have a Bluetooth adapter, and when I toggle wifi on/off it crashes and restarts.

Hopefully Apple can resolve tomorrow...

8. rob.james.arias macrumors regular

rob.james.arias

Make a full back up before going and plan on not having it for at least a week. My guess is they will be sending it in for a repair. Sorry for the inconvenience...

9. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

After my initial frustration, I thought I'd retry some of the steps over the phone, and after doing a shirt-fn-control-alt-power reset everything came back to life. I managed to take a full CCC backup before heading into the store on Saturday.

They hooked it up to their network (with a jumble of dongles :D) and ran a diagnostic which said everything was fine. The Genius also created a new network location to see if that made any difference. Although I'm still a little worried, I would have been more worried to leave my machine with them for a week, so will see how things play out. Didn't need to tether in the office today, so no problems reconnecting to my home LAN.