WiFi iTunes Feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacDryCleaner, Sep 14, 2007.

1. MacDryCleaner macrumors regular

Since the touch ipod is shipped and in the hands of customers is the iPhone wifi download service available yet and if so do I need to do some kind of a software update to activate?

Anybody?

Bueller?? Bueller?? Bueller??

2. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

There should be a software update shortly - USA Today said by the end of this week. According to the iPhone blog on this site there are images of a new version (1.1.1).

It wont just pop up - there will be a download install from within iTunes... just a waiting game now - Apple could release it anytime from today until the last day of this month (per Steve's press conference).

3. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

I am almost hoping for later rather than sooner; more likelihood of additional features rolling out with the WiFi iTunes store.

4. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Thinking if it was just the WiFi store we would have seen it by now. Well at least that is what I'm hoping :p

5. sanford macrumors 65816

Only 2:45 PM in Cupertino. Still time. I'm betting WiFi Store only if that's all they can get stable. Makes sense. More to come later, end of month, maybe into Oct. Unless they're set to go. The photos for the store credit were all 1.1.1 firmware version, so you'd think in the rush up to get clean shots of the phone for the store rebate credit web page they would have grabbed a new one out of the box, meaning any shipping now will have the update, meaning it should be ready to go. Grain of salt, of course. Longer they wait the more iPhone iTunes sales they lose and there are certainly more iPhones in the wild right now than iPod touches and probably will be for a while.

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I for one cant wait for this update!! I check macrumors every 10 minutes looking for the update to be posted again! I need to check again!!!! :)

7. sanford macrumors 65816

I think it'll happen right at 5pm PDT or not until next week. I think they probably intended to roll out it same day as iPod touch but who knows what might get in the way.

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

i thoght the ipod touch wasnt out till september 28, so i didnt think we'd see that update till then.

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

thats what we all thought, but it was released yesterday, and as far as im aware, the wifi store is even up and running, so we should be getting this update really soon.

10. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

Just left Best Buy and was playing with iPod Touch and the iTunes store was working quite nice.

11. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I know how you feel. I hit refresh every 30 seconds... :D

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

So im not the only one :D:D

13. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

well, it's getting late here on the east coast. It's 9:31pm here and no update so far. How often does Apple release updates on Saturdays or Sundays? :) It's starting to look more and more like this update will come next Monday at the earliest.

14. sanford macrumors 65816

Here's your Zen moment: we'll get it when we get it. Bear in mind we iPhone owners may well be getting more than the WiFi Music Store -- at least iPod touch parity features like Home button configuration, Music Store of course, video-out so when the dock-connector video cables are available we can use them -- and maybe something cool and iPhone specific. I'm giving up for the night. It's probably not even scheduled until next week -- bearing in mind it's not like we can't buy iTunes music on our computers and put it on our iPhones -- unless they were pushing hard for today, in which case they may keep pushing until it's done and it might turn up any time this weekend.

But I'm giving up for tonight, going to play NHL 08 or Warhawk and watch a movie later, something that does not involve sitting around waiting on a software update like it was the Second Coming -- I'm starting to feel a bit goofy camped out with my MacBook waiting and waiting and waiting when the Cupertino kids have probably all gone home for the weekend.

Last one out, turn of the lights.

15. The General macrumors 601

Okay, what is this? I assumed it shows up when someone posts from an iPhone, but that doesn't seem to be the case. What is it? Why and how does it show up?

/off topic

16. thestaton macrumors 6502

What's the big deal about this? Why not just use iTunes and buy what you need now? should be easier than doing it on the phone...

17. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

That's exactly what it means, or at least that's been my experience since I got the iPhone.

18. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

i guess we can expect it on monday at the earliest. it's almost 8pm on the west coast. it wont come out this late.

19. The General macrumors 601

Then why doesn't it show up when I post from my iPhone? :confused:

20. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

The iTunes I use to Sync my phone with is my desktop in my home. During the day I am either using my work computer or my laptop computer. Most of the time I am on a WiFi Network (work and home). I would like to buy songs without having to be connect to my home desktop computer. May not even be home.

Also, I have seen this working on the iPod Touch and my guess is this how I will buy most of my songs in the future and Sync with my computer for backup from time to time.

21. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

you have to post through the mobile.macrumors.com website vs. The conventional Macrumors.com one.

22. buffalo macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A100a Safari/419.3)

Didn't know about mobile.macrumors.com. Trying it now on my touch. Do you always use the mobile site or just on edge?

23. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I use the Mobile Version all the time (bookmarked). If a site is designed for my screen size I will use it. It is great to go to any site I want, but a site that is designed for my screen size or is designed specifically for the iPhone is much better. Kind of like using a real application. Also they run much faster (less data). I use the Mobile Version of MacRummors all the time when out and about. Really nice application. Also, I use mobile versions of Movie Schedules and the Mobile version of Google Calendar and others. Very nice and very fast on EDGE. For this reason I have no problems with the speed of EDGE.

24. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It should be this coming week. I like the idea, but the WiFI infrastructure is not where it needs to be. It will be interesting to see how it works.

25. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Another thing that I discovered is that there is an iPhone-sized version of this site that you can choose with the pulldown menu at the bottom left corner of the page. I usually only use that one when I'm on WiFi. The moblie.macrumors.com site is actually really fast on EDGE, so I tend to go to that when on EDGE.