Wifi keeps disconnecting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bo07less, May 16, 2014.

1. bo07less macrumors newbie

Hi there!

I recently upgraded to OS X Mavericks. Since then my wifi disconnects whenever the screen goes black after not touching it for a while. This is extremely annoying when I for instance am on Skype just talking to a friend and not touching my computer. Then it'll eventually just disconnect, because I did not touch my mac. Before it'd never do this. I'd stay online even when the screen went black. How do I change this?
    Thanks in advance!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

1. Turn of Wi-Fi.

2. Then open Finder window and go to the folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and move the files com.apple.airport.preferences.plist & NetworkInterfaces.plist to your desktop. Then IMMEDIATELY REBOOT!!!

3. Upon Login turn wireless back on.

3. bo07less thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't seem to find these files. When I go to my finder I don't have a folder called Library. I can't search for it either. There's nothing. Same with preferences and systemconfiguration :/ (And yes, my computer is in english ^^) Is there any other way to find this?

4. satcomer, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It s in your Main Library folder, not your Home Library. So just go into the main Library folder and find the folder named Preferences. In the Prefernces folder find the sub folder System Configuration. Go into that folder and throw all the files in it into the Trash can but don' t delete yet and reboot your Mac. OS X should rebuild those Giles when rebooting.

Then all you have to do is reset your System Prefrences->network and Sharing pane this should reset all your network settings. These steps have help a lot of users fix wireless issues.

5. eyrerunner macrumors newbie

Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
    1. Turn of Wi-Fi.

2. Then open Finder window and go to the folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and move the files com.apple.airport.preferences.plist & NetworkInterfaces.plist to your desktop. Then IMMEDIATELY REBOOT!!!

3. Upon Login turn wireless back on.

PLEASE HELP ME!
    I did these steps and it helps for the first 5-6 webpages and then everything freezes again.
    This came on so suddenly.
    I don't know what to do.

(And yes, I am playing the helpless female card! Computers are not my forte. Any help is appreciated!)

----------

Hi,
    I did all of the above steps and it works for 5-6 webpages (or 30 seconds) and then it freezes again.
    If you have any more help tips, I would truly appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance,
    E

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It actually freezes? That means hardware or really bad permissions problem.