Wifi maxed with side door open, no signal with closed

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NickolasSin, Sep 21, 2008.

1. NickolasSin macrumors member

NickolasSin

Hey,
    Well I recently began to rent my own place, split the bill with the landlord for fios. Anyways, I was unable to connect to the network until a day ago. Before that the network would occasionally pop up, id go to connect and it would be gone. For whatever reason, I unlatched the side door of my mac pro and rested it against my monitor next to it. Then all of a sudden full bars. I close the case, no bars. Open again, full. Tried different angles of the side door against my monitor, not all of them work. I have to sort of search for the sweet spot.

Please help me, my desk looks like crap with my mac pros case open leaning against my monitor. My macbook pro gets connection everywhere in the apartment. Ahh... Is there anything I can do?!?!! The airport extreme card is the new "n" one from apple...

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Essentially your side door is too much interference for the AirPort card to deal with, there are a few things you can do. 1) Rearrange your room so that you Mac Pro's front grate faces the wireless router (general direction). 2) Buy a wireless repeater (an AirPort Express works well for this IMO). 3) Move the wireless router so that it faces your Mac Pro's front grate. 4) Move the Mac Pro closer to the wireless router. Any of those should get you a better connection to the network.

3. FireSlash macrumors member

The door shouldn't matter, as your wireless card has an antenna.

What's likely at play here is that your antenna has been disconnected, or the wire has failed.

Wiring diagrams for the antenna can be found here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Adding_Bluetooth_and_Wireless_to_a_Mac_Pro

Make sure they're hooked up properly. Also, many pros shipped with the antennas hooked up wrong out of the box, causing adverse affects (perhaps like this)