Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
It looks like their study accounted for the heat generated by the laptop, BUT did it account for the heat generated by wifi? As far as I can tell, they basically measured the effect of increased heat from that part of the radio spectrum.

I would also point out that they had external sperm. Most of the heat radiated by wifi from a laptop is going to be absorbed and reflected by your clothing and skin before it can have an effect on your swimmers. Plus, your body has the ability to automatically correct for changes in temperature.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It looks like their study accounted for the heat generated by the laptop, BUT did it account for the heat generated by wifi? As far as I can tell, they basically measured the effect of increased heat from that part of the radio spectrum.

I would also point out that they had external sperm. Most of the heat radiated by wifi from a laptop is going to be absorbed and reflected by your clothing and skin before it can have an effect on your swimmers. Plus, your body has the ability to automatically correct for changes in temperature.

The body regulates testicular temperature by loosening the scrotum allowing the testicles to move away from the body heat and , assuming that you are not wearing close fitting underwear which hold the testicles close to the body, the testicles are exposed to a cooler environment.

However, if the heat source is on you lap, no matter how loose the scrotum becomes, or how far the testicles are allowed to move away from the body, the heat source remains and the body's cooling mechanism is defeated.

All of this assumes the heat is the factor accounting for the majority of the variance, and not some other factor associated with wifi.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnhw

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
I think they should include warnings on the protective plastic on the MacBooks (like the "Don't Steal Music" label on the older iPods) about not placing your notebook on your lap..

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
The body regulates testicular temperature by loosening the scrotum allowing the testicles to move away from the body heat and , assuming that you are not wearing close fitting underwear which hold the testicles close to the body, the testicles are exposed to a cooler environment.

However, if the heat source is on you lap, no matter how loose the scrotum becomes, or how far the testicles are allowed to move away from the body, the heat source remains and the body's cooling mechanism is defeated.

Not entirely. The body has more than one way to maintain a homeostatic temperature, and since they only need to be kept 1 degree Celsius below body temp, this wouldn't be that hard to do (although given time, the effect probably does worsen). The heat source is still going to be reflected by your clothing and thighs, and a modern laptop probably doesn't generate the kind of heat that can overcome these protections (especially since the study found that the non-wifi portion of the experiment had a much smaller effect on sperm that lacked the body's protection).

All of this assumes the heat is the factor accounting for the majority of the variance, and not some other factor associated with wifi.

What other factor is there? Radio waves in this band are non ionizing. We know they produce an increase in temperature, and we also know that repeated experiments haven't shown any other effect on biological tissue.

Sure, it's possible it's something fantastically new that's causing this, but I'm thinking horses not zebras.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
WiFi = Robot Babies
url

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
What other factor is there? Radio waves in this band are non ionizing. We know they produce an increase in temperature, and we also know that repeated experiments haven't shown any other effect on biological tissue.

Sure, it's possible it's something fantastically new that's causing this, but I'm thinking horses not zebras.

You're right. It's just that I'm not knowledgeable enough about electronics to know horses from zebras.:eek: :p

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'll wait until a fertility study is published, to be concerned. Involving samples generated from thousands of men. That there is actually a noticeable difference between wifi and no wifi.

One sample is hardly conclusive. The guy could have just shot a bad load.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Oh dear, all those weeks spent pointing a router aerial at my testicles in the hope that my sperm would become all-powerful have apparently been misspent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.