Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I searched MR but couldn't find an answer to this one.

On Saturday, 03/15, I upgraded my iPad MiniR from iOS 7.04 (?) to 7.1. No problems & it's actually much more pleasant than before. Using normal wifi while in my house.

This afternoon I took the MiniR to a dental appointment so I could show my dentist some stuff. When I unlocked the MiniR at his office to enter his PW, I saw that my wifi was gone. No icon, no signal. His network and many others in the medical center were plainly visible in Settings but it didn't matter. iPad offered me the option of entering PW but without wifi function, of course I couldn't connect. Restarted several times = nothing. Uh oh. :(

As soon as I got home a little while ago, I came here looking for a fix, thinking that I might have to restore. Just opened the cover of the MiniR and the wifi icon is back & connected to my home wifi. WTF?

Any ideas about this? :confused: Could iOS 7.1 have some kind of Security glitch disabling wifi under some circumstances?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Hold on, did you go into settings, select his network, enter the password and click OK? And it still wouldn't connect? I'm sorry, I'm just not fully understanding what you are saying.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Yes. I did the usual thing when connecting to a new wifi network, which was to choose his network, enter the PW and tap the Join button. The first few times I was told that the PW was incorrect (it wasn't). Then I noticed that the wifi icon (upper left) wasn't showing. Everything was fine at my house this morning. My iPhone 5 remembered the dentist's network & automatically connected when I got there.

When I got home and opened the iPad, all was as it should be. Icon in place & home wifi connected.

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
The wifi icon only appears on top left of screen when you are connected to a wifi network. The password at your dentist office is probably case sensitive. If you goto settings-->wifi-->select network there will be a blue checkmark beside the network you are connected to.

-Eric

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
PW can't be case sensitive. It's the office phone number, no dashes. That's why I wondered about iOS 7 being the culprit. My iPhone 5 (and iPad 4, used previously at dentist's but didn't bring today) both are running iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.