Wifi Model's GPS with "Mifi"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stevol, May 20, 2010.

1. stevol macrumors member

Since I have a Verizon Mifi -- if I buy the iPad Wifi only model, and let's say I'm traveling and want to use a navigation app on the iPad (with my Mifi in range), would the iPad be able to locate me using the Mifi, or perhaps would it depend on nearby wifi signals to locate me (in which case the Mifi is useless)? I have the Verizon Mifi, which I don't think has any GPS built into it itself, but wondering if somehow the Mifi could help locate the iPad? I am trying to decide if it's worth it for me to get the 3G iPad over the wifi only model since I have a Verizon Mifi. I am aware of some of the shortcomings of this approach (Mifi with wifi iPad approach) -- you have to take the Mifi with you all the time (as long as you want to be online), the Mifi has short battery life (shorter than the iPad), there's a 5 gig limit per month, etc. Yet, I could probably live with those shortcomings. On the other hand, I think not being able to use the iPad for navigation (even if just for fun) would be a bummer and possibly would make it worth paying for the 3G model at least to have the built-in GPS. Knowing me, I say this now and then never actually use the GPS. But I just can't imagine not having the option on that 10 inch screen. Any thoughts or comments on this? Does the Mifi help locate the iPad, say using a navigation app? Other thoughts on the Mifi + Wifi iPad approach (vs 3G), pros and cons? Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think it relies on nearby triangulation of wifi signals.
    Use paragraphs.
    Smooches, Me.

3. stevol thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I think you're right. Has anyone actually tried turn-by-turn gps on a wi-fi only model? I imagine it's not very accurate. On the paragraph suggestion: you're right, appreciate it, but too tired and not enough time in my life right now to think much about my iPad forum writing style. I apologize if I caused anyone a migraine from reading my post:)