Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxington

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Oshkosh, WI
I am looking for any info on being able to program/automate some sensors around my house using wifi and my mac.

Essentially an example would be to send an email to my smartphone when our garage is open for XX amount of time... or when the sensor is tripped while where not home.

This maybe a longshot but if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Email isn't sent "to your smartphone". It's sent to your email account. If you check it using your smartphone, that's not something the sender of the email has any control over.

What is your experience level in working with sensor networks, devices, etc.? What is your programming experience?

It sounds like you want a home automation system integrated with a computerized home security system. Some systems will do both, but not always, so you have to shop sensibly.

Starting from nothing at all, you should expect to spend at least a few hundred dollars to get started. If you already have something installed, such as sensors or controlled outlets or devices, the cost may be less. It depends on how well what you have can connect to the overall system architecture.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I don't think there's much out there for WiFi, because WiFi is pretty high-powered and expensive for remote sensor use.

Insteon and Z-Wave are common home automation solutions.

Insteon is mixed power-line and RF. Some products use power-line communication, some use RF, some use both. You need a gateway device to bridge your home network to Insteon.

Z-Wave is RF. Again, you need a gateway to bridge to your network.

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Check out Arduino and Xbee.

You can quite easily build a sensor that communicates to your mac via zigbee. You then need to have a mac program that sends you the email.

Maxington

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Oshkosh, WI
Thanks for the help. The home automation route seems the way to go. Now to find some iPhone/iPad integration apps that go along with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.