iPod touch WiFi Monthly Fees Question

kaotikSOUNDZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
hey, theres one question thats been in my mind for a while about the touch, is there a monthly fee for using the internet (safari, youtube, itunes music store)?

thanks in advance

-kaotikSOUNDZ

rhys105

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Yeah its free because it connects to your wireless router - if you dont have a wireless router, then you wont be able to connect to the internet.

Comment

kaotikSOUNDZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
lol i know what wi fi is, i just wasnt wording my question right i guess. i just heard that theres a monthly fee or somethin.. correct me if im wrong.

Comment

cjcamilla

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
lol i know what wi fi is, i just wasnt wording my question right i guess. i just heard that theres a monthly fee or somethin.. correct me if im wrong.
your COMPLETELY wrong, if you said that, you obviously dont know what wifi is.

Comment

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
your COMPLETELY wrong, if you said that, you obviously dont know what wifi is.
if you said that, you obviously don't know what logic/words/understanding are.

Apple could, for instance, charge a monthly charge to use the Touch. For instance, they could disable your Touch's ability to use safari/youtube/etc if you didn't pay a monthly service charge through iTunes.

Of course, this is about 1% a realistic scenerio, but you could have answered the question without sounding like an ass.

Comment

beloved84

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

Wifi is free unless you to hotspots such as starbucks then you'll have to pay tmobile to use the Internet.

Comment

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
You won't believe how many people ask my if using You-Tube and stuff is free... I swear the people at my school are all illiterate computer idiots.
No... there is no monthly charge besides what you have to pay for your high speed internet.

Now I have a question. Is there such a device that is like a cell phone in that it connects to a cell phone network, but instead of actually being a cell phone, it is just a Wi-Fi transmitter. It would be cool to have this little device that you can turn on and push a button, it will connect to your cell network and output a very weak range of Wi-Fi, prolly like 3 feet, and it will be slow cuz... the US has yet to catch on to High Speed wireless cell phone networks. And then you can just turn your touch's Wi-Fi on and connect.

Comment

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
You won't believe how many people ask my if using You-Tube and stuff is free... I swear the people at my school are all illiterate computer idiots.
No... there is no monthly charge besides what you have to pay for your high speed internet.

Now I have a question. Is there such a device that is like a cell phone in that it connects to a cell phone network, but instead of actually being a cell phone, it is just a Wi-Fi transmitter. It would be cool to have this little device that you can turn on and push a button, it will connect to your cell network and output a very weak range of Wi-Fi, prolly like 3 feet, and it will be slow cuz... the US has yet to catch on to High Speed wireless cell phone networks. And then you can just turn your touch's Wi-Fi on and connect.
you mean like a cell phone that you can tether to for its internet lol. you can do that already

Comment

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
Well yes, a cell phone but not... I don't want a device that has cell phone capabilities, IE calling and stuff. I just want a device that transmits a wi-fi signal like the tethering that is going on. So I don't want to have to pay for a cell phone plan, just a data plan, if you will.

Comment

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Well yes, a cell phone but not... I don't want a device that has cell phone capabilities, IE calling and stuff. I just want a device that transmits a wi-fi signal like the tethering that is going on. So I don't want to have to pay for a cell phone plan, just a data plan, if you will.
ah i see. im in the same boat with a gps solution instead of internet

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.