WiFi Monthly Fees Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kaotikSOUNDZ, Oct 19, 2007.

1. kaotikSOUNDZ macrumors newbie

hey, theres one question thats been in my mind for a while about the touch, is there a monthly fee for using the internet (safari, youtube, itunes music store)?

thanks in advance

-kaotikSOUNDZ

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

do you know what wifi is?

3. cjcamilla macrumors newbie

el em ay oh

4. rhys105 macrumors regular

rhys105

Yeah its free because it connects to your wireless router - if you dont have a wireless router, then you wont be able to connect to the internet.

5. kaotikSOUNDZ thread starter macrumors newbie

lol i know what wi fi is, i just wasnt wording my question right i guess. i just heard that theres a monthly fee or somethin.. correct me if im wrong.

6. cjcamilla macrumors newbie

your COMPLETELY wrong, if you said that, you obviously dont know what wifi is.

7. shoelessone macrumors 6502

if you said that, you obviously don't know what logic/words/understanding are.

Apple could, for instance, charge a monthly charge to use the Touch. For instance, they could disable your Touch's ability to use safari/youtube/etc if you didn't pay a monthly service charge through iTunes.

Of course, this is about 1% a realistic scenerio, but you could have answered the question without sounding like an ass.

8. kaotikSOUNDZ thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The only fee that I'm aware of is if you decide to take out a subscription to one of the wifi hotspot companies so that you can use it when you're out and about without having to find a 'free' hotspot.

10. beloved84 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

Wifi is free unless you to hotspots such as starbucks then you'll have to pay tmobile to use the Internet.

11. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

12. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

You won't believe how many people ask my if using You-Tube and stuff is free... I swear the people at my school are all illiterate computer idiots.
    No... there is no monthly charge besides what you have to pay for your high speed internet.

Now I have a question. Is there such a device that is like a cell phone in that it connects to a cell phone network, but instead of actually being a cell phone, it is just a Wi-Fi transmitter. It would be cool to have this little device that you can turn on and push a button, it will connect to your cell network and output a very weak range of Wi-Fi, prolly like 3 feet, and it will be slow cuz... the US has yet to catch on to High Speed wireless cell phone networks. And then you can just turn your touch's Wi-Fi on and connect.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you mean like a cell phone that you can tether to for its internet lol. you can do that already

14. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

is there a wifi transmitter that only goes three feet?

15. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Well yes, a cell phone but not... I don't want a device that has cell phone capabilities, IE calling and stuff. I just want a device that transmits a wi-fi signal like the tethering that is going on. So I don't want to have to pay for a cell phone plan, just a data plan, if you will.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ah i see. im in the same boat with a gps solution instead of internet

17. SuperDaddy macrumors member

I long for the day when wifi is as common and accessible as cell phone service. But free.

Wouldnt that be nice?

18. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

You're